Liquid Cultivation of Mushrooms

At the December meeting of the Vancouver Mycological Society, we had a presentation by a member of the Radical Mycology organization. He described a process for creating clonal spawn from mushrooms that doesn't require the usual agar plates or test tubes along with sterile culture techniques. The liquid culture method, described in this document: https://radicalmycology.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/mushroom-cultivation-for-remediation-computer-read.pdf, uses canning jars sterilized in a pressure canner to produce a liquid culture and grain spawn. I've been trying to get some morel spawn cloned from "natural morels" that I find in the same location every year, but the commercial spawn producer who was supposed to supply the spawn has not been able to do it. So I plan to try the liquid culture method this coming spring.

The Radical Mycology people are mostly interested in remediation using wood-inhabiting fungi; so I'm not sure that the method that they describe will work with morels. If anyone has tried this technique with morels, I'd love to know what results you have had.

• 1 year later...

ydjpl.jpg

20160307.jpg

20160329.jpg

Chinese people cultivated morels successfuly .

This senior engineer, his name is Zhu Douxi, a real morels lover,  famous edible fungi expert in China, director of Edible Fungi Research Institute of Mianyang City, Sichuan Province. He spent all his life and money on morel mushroom study. 

Click the link below to see more pics about Zhu Douxi's story. 

http://www.chinavivers.com/html/425.html

• 2 weeks later...

Lily, thanks for the link.  I was unaware that morels are being successfully cultivated in China.  It is interesting to note that the photos show what appears to be a type of Black Morel, but the article didn't identify the actual species.  I am unaware of anyone using Zhu Douxi's methods in North America.  Most of the morels available commercially around here are collected in burnt forest areas, which can be very productive in western North America.

My own interest is in trying to cultivate morels that are associated with trees or shrubs by inoculating the roots of seedling plants.  I've had no luck so far but will keep on trying; however, I doubt that I have 27 years left to achieve success.

You are welcome!

Mr. Zhu sold his patent to the French. His 27 years effort on the morels study cost him 5 million and eight hundred thousand Yuan( Chinese money Yuan, 1yuan ≈  6.4 U.S dollar ) . I've heard that some Chinese people grow their morels under grape vines. If you like you can buy morel spores from China along with the grow guide.  Here is their email address: mysyj@126.com ; Phone: 0816—2217324    0816—2212676  

I'd  like to pick my morels from the woods. more fun!