Lactarius (and his friends)

Kimon

Hi all,

found these mushrooms yesterday in a mountain close to athens. Actually while searching i got lost, and it was a really unsettling experience, but anyway...

The first two pictures are from all the shrooms i found. I think that on the left side of both photos there are Lactarius semisanguifluus. On the next 3 photos its possibly a Lactarius deliciosus (it can also be seen on the right side of the first two photos). As for the rest of the mushrooms... i think they are some kind of lactarius too, but i cannot be more specific.

The last three photos are of shrooms found in november. I think they are tricholoma.

post-665-0-32097500-1450007219_thumb.jpg

post-665-0-60009900-1450007271_thumb.jpg

post-665-0-38994400-1450007402_thumb.jpg

post-665-0-69239300-1450007501_thumb.jpg

post-665-0-87583300-1450007550_thumb.jpg

post-665-0-31127900-1450007601_thumb.jpg

post-665-0-75449100-1450007650_thumb.jpg

post-665-0-22846000-1450007664_thumb.jpg

Trying to ID mushrooms via photos of piles consisting of several types is confusing. Actually, photos of significant quantities of mushrooms --even if the collection allegedly represents one species-- are not recommended for the purpose of discussing ID. It's easy to overlook an impostor mixed in with look-a-likes. It's best to present photos of individual specimens, or maybe 2-4, which show the same mushroom(s) from different points of view. It's the responsibility of the one who makes the collection to sort by species, and if there's one that looks like it may be different from the rest, then this is one to photograph/discuss.

3rd, 4th, 5th photos provide good info about the stalk of the one mushroom. I don't know the species L. deliciosus first-hand (It does not occur in eastern North America). But Phillips reports that the European deliciosus often has stalk with shallow depressions. Mushroom Expert also mentions this trait. L. deliciosus has orange latex. If you section one and gently press a finger against the cut flesh, you should be able to see a bit of orange on your finger. L. deliciosus also stains green in various areas. As far as I know, none of the green-staining orange-latex milkies are toxic, and some are considered good edibles. Here in eastern NA we have what is sometimes called L. deterrimus, or L. delicosus var. deterrimus. It is not highly regarded as an edible, but I think it's pretty good when used as a texture ingredient rather than a flavor ingredient.

As for the last few photos, the small group of mushrooms appears to represent one type. But, glare/shadow in the photos makes it difficult to get a read on color. Also, seeing how the gills are attached to the stalk, the gill separation, the ring/partial veil (looks like this trait is present), and stalk base would all be helpful. Outdoor photos work best, but attention must be given to light. I suggest finding an area where some object provides shade, but there's an open canopy overhead. This allows for good ambient lighting without glare. Try to avoid bright background light/glare as well. My first impression about the last group of mushrooms was "Cortinarius", but I have very low confidence in this proposal. Spore print color would be helpful.

You are right dave, i am sorry about the first two photos. I was so upset of my getting lost that i forgot to take photos when i should have. Regarding the orange mushroom, the depressions on the stem seem a trait of both L. deliciosus and L. salmonicolor, at least thats what my guide says. L.Salmonicolor though seems to appear in summer and autumn days, while deliciosus from may till december...

Looking at some info gleaned from the internet, L. salmonicolor is said to not stain green. But, one website that reports this shows a photo of what it calls L. salmonicolor with pale green stain on the gills. L. deliciosus stains prominently green in blotches, or may become almost entirely green.