lake Placid area and Adirondack - need advise

Hi everybody,

We are getting pretty dry summer so far here in South-Central Ontario with only occasional rain in spots so i decided to take my family out to see some new places, do some hiking and if lucky, some mushroom picking. The plan is to visit lake Placid and area (where we have never been before). I appreciate some advise in terms of where to go (general area), what to expect this time of year for edibles and what natural attractions and places to see. Thanks a lot and good shrooming.

Actually, I am headed to the Adirondack region this weekend... for the NEMF foray at Paul Smith's College. Judging from the prcip map (just checked a few hours ago) it's been a bit dry in the northen 'dacks. Rain is forecast for the next few days.

Last year my wife and I spent a few days at Adirondack Loj, which is just outside of Lake Placid. Summer 2010 was very wet in this area; we found plenty of shrooms while hiking the trails nearby the loj. While hiking the trail to the top of Algonquin Peak, we took numerous breaks during which I photographed lots of mushrooms. As far as edibles, there were plenty of Gyroporus cyanescens, a straw-colored bolete that instantly stains bright blue when cut. It's actually not that difficult to distinguish this one from the many blue-staining mushrooms in the Boletus genus.

post-20-0-49837000-1312824565_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-06648400-1312824600_thumb.jpg

I also ran across lots of Leccinum (Scaber Stalks). I have found King Boletes (edulis types) in the Adirondack region... mainly on lawns nearby spruce or pine.

Thanks a lot, Dave. From whatever information I was able to find on the web the area is a real blessing for a shroomer with loads of forests and trails, and spectacular scenery. I will post how I made it out. Btw, where are you checking the historical precipitation data? i'm using "theweathernetwork.com" but it's A Canadian site and only gives prcp info for Canadian cities, not US. Thanks

Another good source for daily precipitation in US cities is accuweather.com. Go to the nearest city forecast; then select the month forecast. The default display for the data is in a calendar configuration. Select the table configuration to see the precipitation data. You can show historical data back about one year in the free version.

Dave, Zora and Vitog, thank you all for the weather sites reference, I really appreciate it.

Zora, thanks for the great NAMA foray report and pics. I now booked a place to stay at the North Pole resort near the Whiteface mountain. They told me they're having some nice rains these past few days, so hopefully they will produce something to pick-up this weekend.

So I’m back from the lake Placid area. In three days spent there we had a great time driving on top of the Whiteface mountain, climbing to the summit enjoying fantastic views, taking gondola ride, visiting the Ausable chasm and swimming in lake Champlaign. So Monday morning, when it started to rain, while the kids were enjoying the resort playground and games room under my wife’s supervision I was able to sneak out into the woods and had about 3 hour hike in the outskirts of the Whiteface. Unfortunately, the soil was pretty dry and did not find many mushrooms as I hoped for. For some strange reason this time I did not have the urge to fill up the basket with good edibles and was simply enjoying the tranquility of the forest and was taking some fungi pics. What the heck, or I guess I’m getting older! All in all a good day in the woods and good workout for me with few miles on and off the trail hiking in fairly rough terrain. Found some interesting shrooms but uncertain about their IDs. Everybody have a great fall season. :veggiedance:

Ausable chasm

post-58-0-26874800-1313591057_thumb.jpg

Whiteface summit

post-58-0-41455100-1313591095_thumb.jpg

Beautiful Amanita Caesarea

post-58-0-74394800-1313591310_thumb.jpg

ID?

post-58-0-68045900-1313591354_thumb.jpg

Pholiota ?

post-58-0-53447800-1313591450_thumb.jpg