Puffballs

Puddleduck

Mature small puffballs can be difficult to ID to species. Looks like the spores exit through a pore at the top of the fruit body, as opposed to through large cracks along the entire fruit body. I think these are a species of Lycoperdon. L. perlatum is a terrestrial species that has mature spores olive green (or possibly brown).

I picked L.Pyriforme just last week that was growing on the ground, though always in close association with some sort of rotting wood. I've also found L.Perlatum growing on stumps and rotting wood as well as in the dirt!

I love wolf farts....these wolf farts are old and not edible anyways.

I saw two or three L.Echinatum the cool spiny white one not too long ago, edible, but very uncommon for me so I let those ride.

I'd say L. echinatum (=L. americanum) is possible. To distinguish this type from other similar Lycoperdon species you would need to observe them before they were well beyond maturity, as appears to be the case with these. Or, maybe a microscopic analysis would be helpfu? At this point I think your only option would be to examine some spores and see if the shape/size fits one particular Lycoperdon species.

In my area (Pennsylvania) L. americanum is an early season species, June/ July.

Normally I'd agree with you on the early season run for the spiny's Dave, but this season has thrown all of that on it's head. Several fall mushrooms were popping early after this wierd spring/late winter we had. Honestly, if I walked up on a flush of morels this fall I probably wouldn't fret at this point. Just be grateful, pick, and move along.

Have you ever wondered how often we all probably do happen upon new or at least heavily misunderstood species of mushrooms and just take them for granted? I love mushrooms and all their mysteries. But mainly I love how they taste.