Fall Hens

Went Sunday found a couple nice Hens, went Tuesday, found 7, kept 4 biggies, and let 3 go for another day, and just got back this evening, went an hour or so after work, found 9! My brother went this morning and tallied 46lbs. What a sweet Hen season to make up for the crummy Morel season. Get out there, they're everywhere! I hunt just outside Chicago.. I have nice pictures too, not sure how to upload them ???

Uploading is pretty easy. Below the box where you type a post you should see a browse button. Click it and use the popup that happens to find the photo. Once found highlight the photo with one click and then hit open. That puts the location of it into the box beside the word Browse. Click the Attach this file button and the pic will upload. When finished you can attach more pics in the same way. many of us reduce the size of their photos to below 600k to make life a little easier on the people with dial up connections but you wont go to jail if you dont do that. When you are finished uploading everything you want you just click ADD REPLY and all should be well.

The photos will automatically resize to a maximum thumbnail size and then can be clicked on for maximum full size if anyone chooses to do that. The thumbnail size is plenty large so you can see the image quite well. No need to resize all your photos before posting, that is the nice thing about this board, it does it for you. wink.gif

• 3 weeks later...

sigh... I haven't found a single hen all year in spite of looking at about 5,000 oak trees. Our season here in Ontario is ending in a real hurry. We have been a week without rain and worse is the fallen leaves are really starting to pile up in the woods and covering any fruiting mushrooms.

The photo posted by FB with the hens on a scale is interesting. The device sitting on the plastic bin is actually used to purify dilithium crystals for a warp drive, confirming many of my suspicions... As we say in Klingon.. "buy' ngop!"

Does anyone have a picture of a hen versus a black staining polypore? I found a hen, I think, today while horse back riding. I put it in a mesh bag and tied it to my saddle. Some of it turned black by the time I got home but of course, even as smooth as my horse is, the mushroom got black in spots. I think it is a hen but I am not sure. The underside did not bruise, just the tips that were against the bag.

post-4-072978600 1286820888_thumb.jpg

Zora, I just posted it on my Fb page asking for help....since I have a few (hundred) more FB friends than you I figured I might get a faster response....I'll get back to you.

I've had the ends of very fresh chicken of the woods (L. sulphureus) discolor brown where they've rubbed against the sides of a bag, and hen fronds discolor brown after awhile.

Those fronds look more like hen than black stainer. Those are usually somewhat larger

and more semicircular than leaf-like. And it gets tougher too.

Both are edible, but hens are much better.

Well, everyone on Facebook is going with Grifola...Gary and Tom both think so. Tom V. says it is highly unusual for the black stainer to be fruiting this time of year. The FB consensus is for Grifola. If you cook some up and it all turns black and tastes bitter then you know it's not Grifola!

Zora, I'm pretty sure that's a black staining polypore. I had tons of them growing on stumps in my woods this summer. I've never had a hen stain black like that before. Hopefully I'll get to check a fe spots on Friday. It's my only free day since my family's coming to visit this weekend.

I've been contemplating a trip to see my mom in PA and wondering if there are enough mushrooms around SE PA to make the trip worth while? Evan, where are you located again? I know you moved so now I forget where you are. I know where Zora is and Dave (sort of). The weather has been so dry and screwy up there it might not be worth the trip. I'm most interested in finding hens. What do you guys think?

We've been getting copious amounts of rainfall lately. Another major soaker predicted for Th/F. I think the SE part of PA will be good for a few more weeks.

We had a heavy frost at my house this morning... for the second time so far this year. Up here in the NE, I think some types of mushrooms will start to phase out soon.

Well, I took some good slices out of that thing and cooked it up. It did not turn black. Nothing else on the mushroom turned black besides what was hitting the horses side coming home. And it tasted like a hen but an old dry hen.

I hope you are right on that rain Dave. I am out of town but I still have hope of finding some more hens this year. My blewitt patch is not doing well. I wonder how many years they come back. Could it just be the lack of rain or that I have been picking them for 3 years?

LadyFF- I'm in south central PA right near Gettysburg. Other than this weekend I am free. If you want to come down, I can make room for you. I won't know how the shrooms are until this Friday. The middle of Oct is when the hens really start in these parts, normally. I'm hoping the rain we've had in the past weeks will be enough to get them started. There have been some amanitas, puffballs, and a few others lately, but who knows what the next few weeks will bring.

Hi Evan...I can't leave until at least Sunday so if I do come, I'll let you know. Will you PM me your phone number please? I'll do the same. It would be fun to see you............> Mary PS, not sure how long a drive from Kennett Sq. to Gettysburg do you know? We used to do class trips in high school so it can't be too far!

Zora, my experience has been that Blewit patches move around every few years. The really big patches which tend to occur along paths, roadsides, nearby compost, or in deep leaf litter seem to last for 3 to 6 years, and then there's no more in the same spot... But, in the same general area a new patch may appear. In some cases, areas in the woods produce smaller numbers per patch, but the patches persist for a longer time. All but a few of my Blewits this year have come from two patches... one in leaf litter along a roadside in a county park, and the other on a path nearby the compost heap on our property.

Several years ago I was getting between 5 and 10 pounds from the paths and beneath the bushes lining the paths on our 4 acres of overgrown farm field. This past year there were only a couple Blewits in these spots, and so far this year, none. These are late-occurring spots. So, maybe a few will still show up.

Sounds like that polypore was an old Hen with large fronds that were beginning to discolor.

I would have put money on that being a black-stainer... I also thought the large fronds were a tell-tale sign, as well as the margins turning black. One way to tell the difference is to take a frond and pull it apart. If it separates cleanly, it's a hen, and if it separates w/ stringy pieces it's a black stainer.

I haven't found much around here, but then again I haven't had much reason to go out. We haven't had any rain in 12 days. I did find a couple hens on one tree over the weekend, but it was burnt by the low RH. The day-time RH has been consistently in the ~30% range pretty much this whole month. I'm hoping the rains will show up at least in time for the cool season Oysters...

Mary, I'm guessing it's about three hours from Kennett Square. The mushrooms aren't so great here this year, though. I've only seen one hen that someone beat me to and not much else. You are still welcome to come down, though.