Greetings from Northeast Pennsylvania

The Vault Dweller

I'm happy to find and join this place seeing as I believe I have a lot I can learn and add to possibly even having some academic achievement (though still worth it without that).

I completed earning my Bachelors degree just over four years ago in Biology. All the places hiring lab technicians were (and remain) full so I stayed in my current job while hoping I'd eventually get an opening. While I waited as happy as I was to have significant amounts of free time and money (due to only working full time instead of working full time and going to university) I felt something of an "empty space" in terms of accomplishment. I took some time and money to purchase and read books on some related science courses that I didn't take, but would have enjoyed while earning my degree. A year later I then decided to read books on various other educational topics outside of science. Then I was out of ideas.

So I tried to think of something that would involve field work (fun). I decided to try finding and identifying fungi. With a field guide, online resources, and a book on the basics of mycology I went searching once a week for an afternoon the warmer half of the year.

Two years have went by (this being my third) and I'm still doing it. On my most recent trip I happened across a man kneeling at a tree and knew he was doing some sort of sampling. I called out both to greet him and not startle him. I was shocked to find he was looking for fungi as well. After a long conversation he told me about this place as a location for finding others and working together on identification. I was overjoyed.

With much gratitude I thank Dave (http://www.wildmushroomhunting.org/index.php/user/20-dave-w/) for bringing me here. THANKS!

"Hello" to all the fellow NE PA residents! Usually, this is a great place to study wild fungi... with one exception being when the weather is like the Sahara Desert, which is the current situation around here. Well, maybe not quite that bad. Last Sunday our local club sponsored a Mushroom Fair at Nescopeck State Park. I spent much of Friday (which I believe is when I met Vault Dweller) and Saturday looking for material to display at the fair. Collected 20 or so species at the Austin Blakeslee Natural Area in the Poconos. Followed along the edge of a wetland that paralleled a trail and was bordered by mature pine/hemlock. Our varied local habitat seems to always have something fungal to offer, as long as one is willing to do some calculated searching.

• 8 months later...