Agaricus Campestris! YUM.

brianf

Nice haul of A.Campestris. I haven't really seen too many posts about Agaricus mushrooms. Any thoughts?

One of my chanterelle spots is fruiting as we speak so it's going to be a good couple of days.

Gotta love 3 inches of rain in 3 days plus a 30 degree temperature flux. Have been seeing small numbers of hedgehogs and quite a few lobster mushrooms recently too. Hoping for some good numbers by the middle of the week. Hope to start seeing honey's and brick caps by the end of the week. Also hoping the log I found my first H.Coralloides last year will be getting busy soon.

Fairly common mushroom, fairly easy to identify in my opinion, but doesn't seem to popular with the latest generation of mushroom hunter. It is possible to confuse agaricus xanthodermus, just keep an eye out for yellow staining, especially towards the bottom of the stipe. I wouldn't recommend eating ones as dark brown/black as the two in the last picture. I took those along to show the drastic color change once it's done releasing spores. Those may be entering putrifaction as well.

post-797-0-74540900-1442233079_thumb.jpg

post-797-0-85204500-1442233082_thumb.jpg

post-797-0-93530200-1442233085_thumb.jpg

post-797-0-10287100-1442233089_thumb.jpg

Just enough for a romantic Sunday dinner for two:

post-797-0-64721100-1442234513_thumb.jpg

A. campestris types are good eating. I like them best when the gills are still pink. I haven't seen any good-sized fruitings for the last couple years.

There are a few troublesome Agaricus species here in eastern NA (more in western NA). These types don't really look all that much like campestris, and they tend to grow in places other than lawns/fields. A. placomyces and A. pocillator are two species to keep in mind... bad reputations. These types often --but not always-- have a medicinal/chemical/phenol odor.

Good call Dave. I wasn't including forest fungi with the possibility for confusion, I was taking for granted the distinction between forest and field and the fact that someone could read this who hasn't entirely mastered that distinction. If I'm not mistaken both placomyces and pocillator stain yellow as well. I know we don't have placomyces up here, but we do have pocillator. The upside is, if you do happen to eat xanthodermus, placomyces, or pocillator you'll feel like but probably won't die.

Keep your eyes peeled for them. This is the first real fruiting I've seen since probably 2010 or 2009. Last time I found any useful numbers of M.Procera as well, so I'm hoping to find some of those as well.

I'm having a pretty good season, especially considering we haven't had THAT much rain.

Yes, please do. And any visible occurrence of colored rhizomorphs as well.

Dave, in response to the garden growth of the pocillator.....I actually wonder just how many species of fungus can survive in the standard bag of hummus soil.

I've given it minimal thought and haven't done any legitimate research, but I swear I have seen campestris and arvensis as well as other harder to identify species of agaricus fruit within months of spreading it.....though hummus soil isn't entirely common in most gardens. Top soil and potting soil are generally free of mushrooms other than LBMs in my experience.

Coming home from work yesterday, I spotted a patch of A. campestris at the end of our driveway ! Harvested close to 5 lbs of young pink gilled ones, and left the

older brown ones .. By older I mean they can't have been up more than 2 days, and were already starting to decay !

Would post pics, but can't figure out this new Windows 10 ..??

I have never tried to dry these, but with so many, I have the dehydrator stuffed and running .. Fingers crossed . Yes they were tasty fried in butter !

Thanks Brianf .. Wasn't sure, but didn't want them to go to waste .. These have been drying for about 20 hours now, and still some moisture in them !

They will still be tasty in sauces, powders etc .. My mom went down and picked another bunch today ! Lol ! Gotta love it !