Panaeolus cinctulus?

Hello Chaddecker,

(BTW everyone... P. cinctulus = P. subbalteatus )

It is hard to tell exactly which mushroom it is, other than it definitly appears to be a LBM (Little Brown Mushroom).

The genus Panaeolus is generally characterized by having black spores, and mottled gills (uneven colouration as the spores mature). A photo showing the gills would be useful. The one you found looks quite like the very common lawn-loving species Panaeolus foenisecii, as it appears a little too small to be P. cinctulus, which grows on compost and manure instead, and tends to grow in clusters.

However, I must stress that it is quite impossible to identify LBM's from pictures of the cap only. It may not be a Panaeolus...

Good Luck!

Panaeolus cinctulus and Panaeolina foenisecii have very similar appearances. If you take a spore print, then be certain to get a thick print on both white and black paper. The white shows you there is a thick print, while the black shows the color. Against the white background, the black print of P. cinctulus and the dark purplish print of P. foenisecii look the same. But against the black background, the pure black cinctulus print disappears whereas the foenisecii print shows its purplish tint... as seen in the photo. Photo shows prints from P. foenisecii only.

post-20-0-65963100-1309923727_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the good suggestion. I have always used white paper for spore prints...in particular, in distinguishing between the different shades of white/cream/yellow in, say, the Russula's, white paper is best.

But you are right, when wanting to distinguish between different shades of dark coloured spores, it is probably better to use black paper.

Guest Nezahualcoyotl

Panaeolus cinctulus is a choice psilocybin containing mushroom which grows around the world. It is often cultivated or collected from the wild for medicinal uses, spiritual practices and as a recreational drug.

Panaeolina foenisecii is said to be inactive or extremely weak in psychoactivity, it is not eaten, not for it's edibility nor it's mild psychoactivity, although I suppose it could be used for both.

Thanks for the good suggestion. I have always used white paper for spore prints...in particular, in distinguishing between the different shades of white/cream/yellow in, say, the Russula's, white paper is best.

But you are right, when wanting to distinguish between different shades of dark colored spores, it is probably better to use black paper.

Yeah, the white background works well for light prints like Russulas. I've got a nice pic of a yellow Russula print which shows this.