Company would like white chicken samples or spores

Message I received through Mushroom Observer from a company in California:

> I work for Gourmet Mushrooms in California and we are looking at cultivation efforts of Laetiporus. We think that the best bet would be L. cincinnatus and so are on the hunt for as many fruit body isolates as we can put our hands on.

> I wonder if you would be willing to help us out in this search? we would take any fruit bodies or well-taken spore prints (on glass is best) that you come across this season so that we can isolate and trial them. it’s a hit-or-miss proposition, this cultivation thing. Some wild isolates do great, others not so well.

> We’d send you our FedEx account number so that you wouldn’t have to lay down any money for shipping.

> Would you be agreeable to this?

> Give me a call if you’d like to talk: 707 823-1743 x107.

> Thanks!

> Chris Bailey

> chris@mycopia.com

More details from Chris:

That is super! I really appreciate your help in this, and the great idea to post it to the MOMS to expand the net. You may provide my email and phone number for direct communication with any of them that may be interested.

By the way, we are also looking for Polyporus umbellatus, if that’s something that anyone runs across.

Just send me a note if you or anyone else comes across it and I can give you our shipping account number. Let me know if FedEx or UPS is easier. The address is:

Chris Bailey

Gourmet Mushrooms, Inc.

3620 Frei Rd

Sebastopol, CA 95472

Phone: 707 823 1743

I'd only need one or two good sized fronds; something to get a spore print from and something with a core to dissect some clean tissue from. Fresh picked is best, especially since it will be abused by temperature during shipping. For provenance, we’d love to have field photos, location (GPS best), wood type/habitat, date and collector. I’ve attached a worksheet that can help keep track of this info.

Wrapping it in paper towels and keeping it from jostling about during overnight transit would be adequate.

Many thanks,

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

I wish I had remembered this. I have one from over a week ago drying out in my fridge. I think it's probably too far gone to ship. Unfortunatly, I never had time to cook it.

Since they're not going to eat it, it's probably still good to get some spores from. Or they might do cultures from

pieces (like stem butt culture).