east coast chanterelles, 2011

T_T

I would think this is very early for Maine. I've got an early spot for cibarius --or whatever it is they're calling the NA version these days-- here in NE PA. Haven't checked yet... 20 miles in a direction out of my usual driving. But I think they're probably starting up. Last year I set my own personal record for early chanties, 6/12/10.

http://mushroomobserver.org/46843?q=4p9w

Evan, If you have mixed forest spots for lobster mushrooms you likely also have spots for chanties. I find most of my chanterelles in the same forests as lobsters, perhaps not right in the same spot because lobsters seem to like it a wee bit more moist but for me finding decent fruitings of both within say 50 yards is a pretty common thing. I believe the common factor is pine and likely white pine but they seem to like the same sort of forests. The only exception I can think of is a hemlock grove that fruits lobsters like mad but not chanterelles.

Sometimes I think that chanterelle habitat is even more regionally diverse than morel habitat. Here in NE PA I find Smooth Chants in open oak woods, often along sunny paths. I have only a few spots for cibarius type (gilled). The best of these spots is a rocky creekside with small ash trees, small sycamore, and probably a few birch. Also, the mossy creekside gets some. Just drove out there today. The bugs beat us to them!! About half of what was up was infested. There'll be more. I also have a local cibarius spot that features Tulip Poplar. In New York State (Binghamton area) I find the cibarius type in old growth oak/hemlock mix, and the smooths in sunny oak woods. A freind of mine who lives north of Binghamton NY gets cibarius in ash woods. In Vermont I find cibarius in spruce stands, and smooths (only occasionally) in beech/birch/maple woods. In Montana I found cibarius in spruce pine mix... a sunny wood border. In Oregon I found some cibarius in a conifer forest with some hardwoods mixed in... don't know the trees out there. And this list is only my own personal experience!

Evan, I think your best shot may be to try to find some old growth oak woods... for the smooths.

• 2 weeks later...

That would be ever. They are one mushroom that I have yet to find.

All of Dave's tips are good -- additionally, look under pawpaw trees if you happen

to have any there. They seem to like that environment.

I've found lobsters under pine mostly, or mixed oak & pine more often. We see them in

early autumn here. I hit it BIG in mid-september last year.

Lobsters are our most dependable mushroom here in southern Ontario.

Once they start I can go out any day of the week or every day of the week and scoop up an 11 quart basket full and if I get really serious I could collect quite a bit more. They are a bit of a pain to clean though and they dont keep all that well in the refrigerator so I dont usually collect much more than a dehydrator full at a time. They don't fruit in every forest but they do fruit in the same place for decades so once you start finding them you can build up a collection of honey spots in a real hurry.

I posted this on another thread but I don't think Dave saw it. Hey Dave, any ideas? Evan, do pawpaws grow in SE PA?I have a quickie trip up to Pa for my nephew's wedding this weekend. I've never even looked for mushrooms up there except for morels, so Dave, any ideas what I should look for and what trees? I won't have much time as the wedding is Sat. but I fly up on Thur, and home on Monday.

It looks like you are all having a good time finding lots of cool stuff out there. As soon as I am freed from my hand surgeon and therapy I'm heading somewhere to look for mushrooms...

Smooth Chants (C. lateritius) usually follow the gilled ones (C.cibarius) by about two weeks or so. Smooths grow slowly. I have harvested Smooths that took three weeks to mature. Looks like the Chants are not coming in real strong so far this year. My collections are down a bit, especially when I consider that the weather has been perfect. Some years the Chants are slow early on, but do well in August.

My little spot of chanterelles did rather well this year. You were right Dave, the rain stopped Monday and we are finally getting some mushrooms. My bi-colors must be done in the one spot that has produced tons for the last few years. Also found some Xanthoconium affine (at least that is what I believe them to be)

post-4-0-35573300-1309525764_thumb.jpg

post-4-0-22320400-1309525771_thumb.jpg

post-4-0-03377300-1309525778_thumb.jpg

post-4-0-80568100-1309525787_thumb.jpg

I checked out a couple of dependable chantrelle spots, but nothing showing yet. This is normal for this side of the White/Green mountains, where they are ususally picked the 2nd or 3rd week of July.

Also, a got a tip from a friend, about a local forest full of chantrelles! He's certainly knows what a chantrelle is (just doesn't have time to pick), and I'm looking forward to finding out how much he has exagerated!

On the other hand, (I have just realized, right now), I'll be away for 2-3 weeks the end of July, so I'm gonna miss it all. :(

That would be ever. They are one mushroom that I have yet to find.

I feel for you. It is the same thing for us with morels here....I have heard of people finding lots 50 miles east and 50 miles west of here, but no one (in our mushroom club at least) has ever found a morel in this area. It may be the same situation with chantrelles in your local.

Lobsters are another that I have never found. We have the right types of forest, I just haven't found the right spot yet.

This is another one that keeps growing in the same spot year after year. My lobster "spot" is a mature Grey Pine forest, with really sandy trails going through it...they grow right in the moss at the side of the trail. I pick blueberries there lots, but have never found a lobster more than 2 meters from the trail. There are kilometers of trails, you can drive down them and stop whenever you see a lobster...The only mushroom I have can hunt from my car/bike!

Well, Evan, better luck this year!