What are those mushrooms?

Anchutka

OK! Question! In "it's a mystery!" the closest We could come to this was the same,"ringless honey mushrooms. Please look at the pix posted in that thread. They do not appear to be the same! (Spore print not available) Any ideas a.i. same/not?

Wade

Wade, those were super old and yukky. These are clear and fresh specimens. It is very difficult to ID old rotten mushrooms. Right now, ringless honey mushrooms are popping up all over the country. They are early if you ask me. I would not have expected to see them earlier than September. They grow in my yard in SW Florida in November.

Wade, those were super old and yukky. These are clear and fresh specimens. It is very difficult to ID old rotten mushrooms. Right now, ringless honey mushrooms are popping up all over the country. They are early if you ask me. I would not have expected to see them earlier than September. They grow in my yard in SW Florida in November.

I haven't learned nearly enough about fungi yet but one thing I do know is this is not a typical year.I found "pink unders" in may and have never seen them before July's hot and dry weather. That's what i've been having for a couple weeks now and they are not up. That's weird.

Wade

I think Armillaria tabescens is a very reasonable proposal here. But a similar collection came in at the NEMF foray. I initially thought A. tabescens (as did a couple other folks). A few other proposals were discussed... Clitocybula, Lyophyllum. The collection was ultimately IDed as Clitocybula familia. The collection seen here looks more like Armillaria than the NEMF collection. Differences... Stalks on the collection seen here appear to be somewhat fibrous, and the caps appear to be be prominently hairy on the disc. I'm not sure I'd call this a slam-dunk. But A. tabescens seems good to me. Seeing a diagonal cross-sectional cut on a stalk would be helpful.

As for seasonal correlation, wade's comment is on target. Mushroom species typically associated with late summer/fall have been routinely appearing throughout the late spring/summer. Here in eastern NA, a very warm May followed by a wet and occasionally cool June seems to have tricked some of the mushrooms in to thinking it's fall. At the Eastern Penn Mushroomers' annual foray (July 24-26) a nice collection of Armillaria ostoyae came in. I found Tricholoma aurantium on July 3.