Reishi

ladyflyfsh

I found some ganoderma camping up by Carter's Lake in N. Georgia this past week. The other side of the tree had some small ones with yellow bands. I didn't harvest them because I haven't worked up the courage to drink tea made from them yet. These were growing on hardwood.

attachicon.gifganoderma-sm.JPG

My people have been using G. lucidum for hundreds, maybe over 1000 years. They are extremely expensive in herbal medicine shops, and I know they are all farmed and not wild. I can't wait to make some tea!

Ladyflyfsh, I feel your pain. We were camping one time in Hillsborough River State Park and a section of the park was under a foot of water.

theplanets, that's encouraging. I'll be braver the next time I find some. :)

prairie shroomer, I've seen several growing on a stump before, but I've never seen that many growing together. Great find!

Got back to the same forest and found more reishi. I'm now convinced that these are G. tsugae and not G. lucidum. They are growing on dead hemlocks and not maples.

Harvested about another 15 pounds from 1 tree. Left about another 10 lbs because my bag was full and to let the little ones grow bigger. Lots of nubs emerging so I know there'll be lots more in a few weeks.

post-369-0-32253200-1376327080_thumb.jpg

post-369-0-35776500-1376327096_thumb.jpg

post-369-0-33335500-1376327119_thumb.jpg

post-369-0-91355000-1376327135_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Are any members if this forum regular reishi drinkers? I tried reishi for a month last winter.I am already a 3 cup a day chaga drinker and found the reishi to be very bitter. I could not tell if it was helping me over the chaga. I was just wondering if any of you have had a good positive reation to it.

• 6 months later...

There's a large G. Licidum in a paper bag in my refrigerator that has dried out, (I can tell by the weight.) Are the medicinals contained in volatile oils that have dispersed with age?

According to one person who claimed knowledge of Reishi, fresher is better. But I believe that dried Ganoderma fruit bodies are also used to make the tea.

If a fruit body dries out while stored in a paper bag inside the refrigerator, then it may be a good idea to thoroughly check it for mold before preparing it for consumption.

• 5 weeks later...

A question about their care and feeding. I have an oak with a plentiful supply of last year's coning through a split n the bark. Do the new ones push the old ones out? Would it help or harm to cut the old ones off?

I don't know this answer, Hunter. But I'd imagine the new ones will just push the old material out of the way.

If anybody knows about new Ganoderma polypores growing from wood where old Ganoderma fruit bodies seem to be in the way, then see the post directly above this one.

• 2 years later...

I have found this every year I've been fungi finding.  It's found often in Hemlock (here in the northeast) and forms large, colorful shelves that are easy to see.

This year however I plan to try brewing tea with hit for similar reasons to what I posted in the Chaga thread.