"Chicken growth" from - "my cup runneth over" thread.

I just wanted to take up this space for anyone interested in the documented growth of a "chicken of the woods". I will add 3 pix,the first taken last Sunday evening when it was 2"wide,the second taken Tuesday at about 3 1/2 " wide and the last taken today at about 8" in width.

I will try to update this until harvest if y'all are interested.

Thanks,

Wade

post-1125-0-16659100-1437323372_thumb.jpg

post-1125-0-92302200-1437323383_thumb.jpg

post-1125-0-30623000-1437323253_thumb.jpg

Actually the object on the right in the first pix is a drip of some sort of liquid.It doesn't look like condensation but possibly some type secretion from the fungi it's self or some other source.

The strange thing for me is that I have had one sulfur shelf(similar to the last picture) each year for the past 5 years,in this area/woods. This year for the first time I have had 2 cinncinnatus,one in May i believe it was and the other last Sunday which is still in the fridg.

This sulfur shelf is growing 40 ft from where I harvested the cinncinnatus and the previous cinncinnatus was harvested off the same tree that has produced sulfurs over the last five years.It is very clear we are dealing with 2 separate fungi but apparently some relationship exists between the 2 to share even the same tree at different times.

Maybe it is common knowledge to some or many but I find this fascinating!

Wade

OK Y'all,you can call this thread finished!Brianf,you were right on the money! Should have taken them Sunday at 8 days old.They have not put on any more growth and now at 11 days old they are showing signs of deterioration!They peaked between 8 and 10 days so any I find in the future will be judged on what I have seen here with these. Strangely enough,the other 6 that had set on the same log were all smaller but in the same condition suggesting that size is not a good determinant for harvest.They are all still pliable but lack much of the fresh appearance you would expect when harvesting. These seen to still be OK ,at least on the outer rim,for frying but the larger pieces are starting to become woody and will only be good diced small and used in soup stock.

Hope we all learned something from this.If nothing else,not to be too greedy!

Wade