Who's finding edibles BESIDES morels?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Dave,

That's a great haul! Congratulations. I will check my spots for chanties tomorrow. Quick question: in what kind of forest/trees are you finding King Boletes in your area? I know they like Norway spruce and black spruce. What kind of soil? Thanks a lot and good shrooming.

I find about 80% of my Boletus edulis under Norway Spruce.... some on lawns where there are a few spruce, and some in forested stands that were planted maybe 100 years ago. I also find edulis in oak woods, hemlock, and under White Pine. I think maybe these last three tree types produce what may be called our native edulis types. The Norway Spruce trees are transplants. Early on in the summer season, the best spots are often places that get a lot of sun; so that the ground warms up faster.

Didn't find as many chanties today as I had hoped. I think it may still be a bit wet in the spots we hunted. Got maybe 1.5 pounds or so. Ran across some nice Black Trumpet fruitings. Got over 2 pounds of those.

post-20-0-58110400-1309062013_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-03417400-1309061998_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-56161100-1309062040_thumb.jpgpost-20-0-04654900-1309062057_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-76354600-1309062075_thumb.jpg

I'm still prospecting for spots, I don't have established go-to locations so I won't even compare my finds to Dave's... but today's prospecting mission turned out pretty good by my standards!

Black Trumpets

post-61-0-00297700-1309066417_thumb.jpg

Granulated Boletes & Old Man of the Woods

post-61-0-03353800-1309066428_thumb.jpg

Hygrophorus Milkies

post-61-0-77721900-1309066436_thumb.jpg

Crown Coral

post-61-0-80427700-1309066446_thumb.jpg

I also thought I found some Edulis but they were bitter boletes!!! Just as well since they were totally worm-infected anyway.

Wow!!! Looks like my southern neighors have a mushroom season that is well underway.

Nothing much fruiting here. A trip to my local bog produced a slew of LBM's...conocybes mostly, I think. That's it :(

Dave: What habitat do you find the black trumpets under? They exist here in Quebec, although they are not common and I've never seen them here, only one time in Oregon...

I actually find two types of Balck Trumpets in my area. The more common salmon-spored variety is generally found under hardwoods, chiefly oak or beech which varies by year, but sometimes I get them in areas where there is hemlock mixed with oak. The ones seen above were found in a mature oak forest. I find the white-spored version (less frequently) in spruce woods.

Upsinker, those trumpets you found are at the peak of their ebible desirability!... no signs of any watery-blackening of the flesh around the edges. I'm wondering about the boletes you show. Are you certain they are Granulated Boletes (Suillus species?)? They look a bit like Tylopilus ballouii to me.

I actually find two types of Balck Trumpets in my area. The more common salmon-spored variety is generally found under hardwoods, chiefly oak or beech which varies by year, but sometimes I get them in areas where there is hemlock mixed with oak. The ones seen above were found in a mature oak forest. I find the white-spored version (less frequently) in spruce woods.

Upsinker, those trumpets you found are at the peak of their ebible desirability!... no signs of any watery-blackening of the flesh around the edges. I'm wondering about the boletes you show. Are you certain they are Granulated Boletes (Suillus species?)? They look a bit like Tylopilus ballouii to me.

I'm pretty sure but not 100% - I'm pretty new to ID'ing boletes. Here's a close up of the pattern of fine dots on the top portion of the stalk that lead me to go with Suillus granulatus. Other features seem to match up well with the granulatus ID too - size, season, affiliation with conifers, coloration & slimy cap.

post-61-0-64796100-1309103641_thumb.jpg

After seeing what everyone else is finding I finally made it to our trumpet spot. We found a handful as well as a few tubaeformus, two small hedgehogs, a beefsteak and a white chicken mushroom. I pulled some black sea bass out of the freezer this morning and it was great with the mushrooms. I didn't use the beefsteak, though. Dave, what was it you do with them? You told me once before.

In the past I have eaten the Beefsteak raw in salads. Seems a bit risky though. You don't know where that Fistulina's been! :)

Upsinker. Your boletes look like they're from the Suillus genus... S. granulatus or else something very close. Good call!

Found a handful of chants at my in laws' near Sullivan, Indiana,

and a few other interesting things I needed for some MOMS mushroom

classes. Then we made a quick stop at a state park on the way

home and I found these :badgerdance:

post-12-0-87456500-1309184921_thumb.jpg

CHICKENS!

post-12-0-45487700-1309184899_thumb.jpg

Berkeley's polypore. The camera bag at top left is about a foot long.

This one's pretty good to eat. Cut off tender frond edges and fry. I call it "steak of the woods."

I've eaten young Berkeley's, before it has expanded to the size seen above; but never any portion of a full-grown one. If I run into one of these, I'll give it a try. The young Berkeley's was pretty good, as I recall.

Hi Dave, thanks for the reply. i have been finding king boletes in Ontario around evergreen pine/thuja shrubs. King on the picture was found in such a spot last September. Not sure where I can find Norway spruce in Ontario, will have to check with forestry guys.Nice chanties' pics. My trip last Sunday for chanties did not produce what I have hoped for. It's a little too early in here, need another couple of weeks before they start coming out in numbers. Good shrooming.

post-58-0-03101800-1309229012_thumb.jpg

When you say thuja shrub do you mean eastern white cedar, the stuff of Ontario cedar swamps? I have always considered white cedar to be a mushroom repellant.

Norway spruce is of course not native to Ontario so you will not find too much of it. It has been used primarily as a landscape tree and in general you will not find it in mixed forests. Spruce plantations here are mostly white spruce as well and I have never found a bolete under a white spruce. You can often find Norway spruce in Conservation areas (where mushroom picking is prohibited) where they were sometimes planted in small numbers for the sake of biodiversity in the 1950's. There is also a small number of county forests where you can find a few dozen but again there was no serious planting of them here in Ontario. Best bet is to look in large lawn areas where they were sometimes planted as a single row windbreak, places like university campuses etc.

I have a quickie trip up to Pa for my nephew's wedding this weekend. I've never even looked for mushroom up there except for morels, so Dave, any ideas what I should look for and what trees? I won't have much time as the wedding is Sat. but I fly up on Thur, and home on Monday.

It looks like you are all having a good time finding lots of cool stuff out there. As soon as I am freed from my hand surgeon and therapy I'm heading somewhere to look for mushrooms...

wishing you a quick recovery ladyfish.

Here are some of the results of more prospecting in some beech/oak woods yesterday. There were a few milkies, bicolor boletes and a crown coral that made it to my plate before it got around to picture time

post-61-0-09488900-1309268287_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-46365400-1309268226_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-81207700-1309268243_thumb.jpg

Hi Dave, thanks for the reply. i have been finding king boletes in Ontario around evergreen pine/thuja shrubs. King on the picture was found in such a spot last September. Not sure where I can find Norway spruce in Ontario, will have to check with forestry guys.Nice chanties' pics. My trip last Sunday for chanties did not produce what I have hoped for. It's a little too early in here, need another couple of weeks before they start coming out in numbers. Good shrooming.

Hey Ontarioshroomer, don't feel too bad. The Chanterelles are just starting here in my neck of the woods in Kentucky!!! Went out this past weekend to my best site (mixed hardwoods, mostly oak) and they were just coming up. The peachy ones are pretty small right around my house as well, so no real advantage to being this far south of Ontario!

When you say thuja shrub do you mean eastern white cedar, the stuff of Ontario cedar swamps? I have always considered white cedar to be a mushroom repellant.

Norway spruce is of course not native to Ontario so you will not find too much of it. It has been used primarily as a landscape tree and in general you will not find it in mixed forests. Spruce plantations here are mostly white spruce as well and I have never found a bolete under a white spruce. You can often find Norway spruce in Conservation areas (where mushroom picking is prohibited) where they were sometimes planted in small numbers for the sake of biodiversity in the 1950's. There is also a small number of county forests where you can find a few dozen but again there was no serious planting of them here in Ontario. Best bet is to look in large lawn areas where they were sometimes planted as a single row windbreak, places like university campuses etc.

Hi. Thanks for clarification. You're 100% right, cedar woods are pretty much empty, I skip them. I think those shrubs are some kind of a pine or spruce shrubs, not cedar, as the needles are similar to short spruce needles (see pic). Maybe hemlock?.Will try to find the name for them.

That is a sort of interesting habitat. Those are B. edulis under the hardwood or something else? The hardwood looks like big-toothed aspen (which are not really noted for hosting any sort of bolete except leccinum)and at least superficially it looks like the mushrooms are associated with it rather than the conifers. I dont do a very good job of identifying conifers from photos. Those little shrubby things dont look at all like spruce. They might be young hemlock but I cant recall seeing hemlock seedlings anyplace other than in deep dark woods so if forced to guess I would likely rule out hemlock but put hemlock up at the top of the list of stuff I ruled out. They sort of look like like landscape junipers you might find in your garden. I wouldnt rule out Canada yew either. It would be really interesting to be able to nail down an id though. Do you have a date for when the mushrooms fruited?

They sort of look like like landscape junipers you might find in your garden. I wouldnt rule out Canada yew either.

I agree that they look a lot like Yew.

Yew is quite common around here, but I've never noticed any obvious mushroom-Yew connection. Mostly I steer clear of it, because it's harder to see the forest floor.

That is a sort of interesting habitat. Those are B. edulis under the hardwood or something else? The hardwood looks like big-toothed aspen (which are not really noted for hosting any sort of bolete except leccinum)and at least superficially it looks like the mushrooms are associated with it rather than the conifers. I dont do a very good job of identifying conifers from photos. Those little shrubby things dont look at all like spruce. They might be young hemlock but I cant recall seeing hemlock seedlings anyplace other than in deep dark woods so if forced to guess I would likely rule out hemlock but put hemlock up at the top of the list of stuff I ruled out. They sort of look like like landscape junipers you might find in your garden. I wouldnt rule out Canada yew either. It would be really interesting to be able to nail down an id though. Do you have a date for when the mushrooms fruited?

Hi,

The mushrooms on this picture are indeed leccinum aurantiacum, not king boletes. The time is mid September. The tree is an aspen (I think it's a trembling aspen). The reason i put this picture is to show the shrubs where I found king boletes.They all were found around the similar shrubs and having done some research i suspect that those are hemlock shrubs (Canada yew).Some kings were beside the shrubs , some were right in the midst of the shrubs. Here is some info on canada yew "Canada yew (also called eastern yew or ground hemlock)is a coniferous shrub that ranges in size from a few centimetres to over three metres, although most plants

grow to one to two metres high and wide. It can be identified by its reddish-brown bark and flat needles. Bright red false-fruit (easily mistaken for berries) are present from June to September.In Ontario, Canada yew usually grows in mature forests and is found primarily around the Great Lakes and in the northeast and central parts of the province.

CANADA YEW IS VERY POISONOUS! Canada yew is highly toxic to humans. Anyone consuming this plant is likely to become very ill or die. If someone has eaten this plant, contact the Ontario Regional Poison Information Centre immediately at 1-800-268-9017 or 416-813-5900, open 24 hours per day, seven days per week"

For me it is sort of neat seeing the leccinums fruiting like that because I almost never find more than a couple each year. I know a place that fruits large numbers reliably each year just a few miles from home. The Euros haul them out in 5 gallon pails but I dont bother with them because of questions concerning their edibility. I know thousand eat them every year and swear they are safe and delicious but I suspect that the folks who have died from them wouldnt give such a positive recommendation. Color me timid.

Now that I think of it I also know of a place that has quite a lot of Canada yew and some nice trout fishing. It also has a lot of white cedar and because of that I have never looked there for mushrooms. Maybe I should rethink that.

....but I dont bother with them because of questions concerning their edibility. I know thousand eat them every year and swear they are safe and delicious but I suspect that the folks who have died from them wouldnt give such a positive recommendation.

From my understanding, no one has ever died from eating Leccinum's. I believe there have been more cases than normal (than with chantrelles, say) of "gastrointentinal distress".

But many things we enjoy to eat cause distress for many people. Nuts, milk, eggs, shrimp, soy and wheat are just a few that come to mind...

On the other hand, mushroom's are not just for eating! I probably speak for many of us, in saying it's the hunt that has us hooked. And I certainly wouldn't suggest that someone should consume something they didn't want to.

Please, by all means, correct me if I am wrong or comment further on the edibility status of Leccinum species.

Well it looks like mushrooms are going to be the farthest thing from anything I get to do this weekend. I'm in SEPA for my nephew's wedding and the entire weekend is tied up with wedding stuff so I guess I can forget about any walks in then woods! :angry: Happy Fourth of July weekend.

.......so I guess I can forget about any walks in then woods!

Come on, positive thinking! You still may find a Coprinus poking through the cracks in the sidewalk or some LBM wood-chip species, or better yet, a fat Agaricus growing on somebodies lawn!

Have a good holiday weekend, too.

Two days of the best picking I've ever had. All from the same public beech/oak woods 2.1 miles from my house! I'm going back tomorrow because all of these are from just three ridges and there are several more ridges to explore!

post-61-0-77519600-1309664742_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-08905600-1309664758_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-13096400-1309664784_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-26111500-1309664798_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-86340100-1309664814_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-19077000-1309664825_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-11151500-1309664845_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-86925600-1309664858_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-28601100-1309664880_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-00213700-1309664903_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-91650600-1309664922_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-97224100-1309664966_thumb.jpg