Who's finding edibles BESIDES morels?

I haven't been finding many morels lately but with the soaking rains we've had the past few days it seems like everything that grows on wood or wood chips is popping out in full force. Here are a few I collected for the table. Anyone else picking anything besides morels lately?

post-61-0-43780900-1305694404_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-88053100-1305694414_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-04513600-1305694425_thumb.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't picked any, but there are a few around. There were dryad's saddle when I was hunting morels, a small cluster of oysters on the stump in front of my house, and my wife saw some chicken of the woods a couple miles down the road.

Last Sunday we had a mushroom club foray. Several fruitings of Oysters were collected; nice and fresh. On dead Aspen. A club member brought along some mushrooms that he collected off a lawn that he had just mowed. The mushrooms were stained green and somewhat damaged from getting run over by the mower. But I"m fairly certain they were Fairy Ring Mushrooms (Marasmius oreades). I ate some small buttons of Dryad's Saddle a few days ago. Sliced very thinly and sauteed they were very good, mild flavor.

Last Sunday we had a mushroom club foray. Several fruitings of Oysters were collected; nice and fresh. On dead Aspen. A club member brought along some mushrooms that he collected off a lawn that he had just mowed. The mushrooms were stained green and somewhat damaged from getting run over by the mower. But I"m fairly certain they were Fairy Ring Mushrooms (Marasmius oreades). I ate some small buttons of Dryad's Saddle a few days ago. Sliced very thinly and sauteed they were very good, mild flavor.

Haven't found much, I got a nice sized oyster on a tree right over a big morel in Indiana. Found some dryad's saddle there too, and a bit of wood ear. No chanterelle pins quite yet. It's finally warming up a bit, should not be long before they're out. Are those re-capped mushrooms Stropharia?

Yes, the red ones are stropharia. I've found them around here before but never ate them because they were growing in suspect locations. The ones in the picture were growing in a neighbor's yard next to his vegetable patch. There were a couple dozen good for picking (cap still closed) but I just took the ones in the picture because 1) I had all those oysters at home 2) I never ate stropharia before and didn't know if I'd like them and 3) my neighbor seemed very happy to learn they were edible and clearly wanted to try some himself. I cooked them up this morning in an omelet. They have a bit of that funny flavor you get with pluteus (like fawn mushroom) but not nearly as intense and unpleasant. I didn't love the stropharia just on its own but in eggs with swiss cheese it was very nice - pleasant and distinct flavor and excellent texture.The dryad's saddle I tried a few ways - sauteed (good), in an omelet (good) and grilled (NOT GOOD). They oysters I made last night in my grandmother's "mushroom pasta" dish - everyone know how oysters taste... I love them.

Hey, all, I found this b-utiful Umbrella Plypore (Polyporus umbellatus) last weekend. It couldn't really hold it's own in a stir-fry (I'm a bit too heavy handed with my chillies, garlic and 5-spice powder) however, it was really nice in a Thai coconut milk and chicken-broth based soup.

post-98-0-26544400-1305815275_thumb.jpg

Hey, all, I found this b-utiful Umbrella Plypore (Polyporus umbellatus) last weekend. It couldn't really hold it's own in a stir-fry (I'm a bit too heavy handed with my chillies, garlic and 5-spice powder) however, it was really nice in a Thai coconut milk and chicken-broth based soup.

Gorgeous ... that's one I want to find next, another person in our club found one a couple weeks ago.

Hens (related) are one of my very favorites, and these seem to come out sooner that fall.

Nice photo of an excellent find, Tamara. I have found the Umbrella Polypore three times, all in the same location... late May early June. Haven't seen it now for about 10 years. The flavor and texture are both more delicate that the more common and later-occurring Hen of the Woods.

I found this one that I've never seen before, it seems they come out in late

spring here:

post-12-0-05427100-1306077223_thumb.jpg

Polyporus umbellatus

They were just a BIT past edible, so I left them there. Had a bit of a reaction

last week with a single oyster that was a little too old, so I didn't want a repeat.

Congratulations, Feral Boy. That was fast: you wanted to find one, then you did! Too bad it was a bit too far along. Dave's right about their delicate flavor and texture. Maitakes ("Hens") are one of my favorites also. The first one I found, two years ago, I jumped up and down and did a spontaneous victory dance. My husband was speaking to his Japanese aunt about finding it, and she says, "Oh yes, the dancing mushroom." When asked why she called it the dancing mushroom, she replied as if it were the most obvious thing in the world, "Because finding one makes you dance!!" Try it out this fall. See if you can keep your feet still!

Can't wait to see what others you all find. I saw a pretty bedraggled Painted Bolete this past weekend. Not at all photogenic... isn't it really early for those?

Wow, it seems very early in the season for Fairy Rings! even for PA...

the morels are (apparently) just getting started here, although I have not found any.

I have found many Gyromitra gigas, which may be edible, although I certainly have never tried them.

lots of wild garlic though!

• 3 weeks later...

Summer edibles slow as heck coming out. We finally had a bit of rain last night, after being mostly dry for a couple weeks, with the exception of a FAST storm or two coming through with 5 minutes of rain. Should be something starting up soon.

Hurrah! Found my first (and only) Tawny Milkcap (Lactarius volemus) early this week. I found only one, and it was a bit dry (for a Tawny) but now that we've had our first rain in a few weeks, I hope to see them cropping up more abundantly.

My best Chanterelle spot got a great deal of sand washed over it during the deluges of last month. I hope it doesn't affect the fruit-ability.

In June 2006 we had several consecutive days of flooding rainfall here. One of favorite creekside chantie spots got covered over with sand. That year, and the following year, I found none. But the past few years the spot has been producing better than ever.

In June 2006 we had several consecutive days of flooding rainfall here. One of favorite creekside chantie spots got covered over with sand. That year, and the following year, I found none. But the past few years the spot has been producing better than ever.

Thanks for the encouraging word. I will keep going back from time to time if this year proves to be unfruitful.

Haven't been finding much lately. The oysters seem to have finally slowed down (too bad, it was great while it lasted). I'm finding a couple of tree ears here and there and some crown coral but rarely enough for more than a few bites. I did find a little patch of young stropharia today - that was a nice little bonus. There are lots of amanitas and russulas popping up but I don't mess with them.

Here's a picture of the largest crown coral I've found - it was the first I ever ate and I thought it was fantastic, I would put it very high on my list of favorites but I'd like to try it a few more times to see if it's really as good as I thought or I just drowned it in butter! What do you all think of crown coral?

post-61-0-95629500-1308807867_thumb.jpg

Summer edibles slow as heck coming out. We finally had a bit of rain last night, after being mostly dry for a couple weeks, with the exception of a FAST storm or two coming through with 5 minutes of rain. Should be something starting up soon.

Finally have some things popping around here. I got a nice little bunch of smooth chanterelles, an L. volemus,

and a few Tylopilus (non-bitter). Good mushroom fry-up last night! Should have had a cheese pizza ready for them ...