Which Ganoderma?

ChefsWild

Very pale on top even in maturity. Growing in mulch. Some had the characteristic "fan" shape with the stem on one side, others such as this one that I picked had centrally placed stems. The usual "varnished" appearance on the stems.

post-827-0-99735300-1436987174_thumb.jpg

post-827-0-74701300-1436987207_thumb.jpg

Reminds me of this.... http://mushroomobserver.org/72836?q=2c0gO

If you check the voting on this Mushroom Observer identification, you see that the voters are very far from agreeing on the species. MShink claims to be someone who has researched Ganoderma species, and he has provided me with good information regarding identification within genus Ganoderma. So I'd consider his highly confident "Ganoderma curtisii group" proposal as legit.

Chef's your Ganoderma found in wood chips was likely growing from roots buried beneath the wood chips.

From what I understand curtisii is all over my specific region. It's actually more common than lucidum here.

I came across a large flush of them on a lawn and asked permission of the land owner to take them. Also confirmed no spraying was done there. The trees in close association were primarily pine. She said I'd just be saving her the work of mowing them over, so I have a ridiculous amount of nice specimens in my freezer now. I use them for a bitter/savory/umami dashi stock base. Happy to share, too. Filled two gallon bags with individually wrapped prime material, mostly still soft and flexible.

Chef happy dance!

I'm willing to experiment. I've consumed culinary quantities (probably larger than medicinal quantities) of the two local reishi species, which I believe are lucidum and curtisii, with zero ill effects.

By hemlock I assume you mean hemlock pine, which is actually a good edible despite the dangerous sounding name. Hemlock pine inner bark is very nice.

As you can see from the name, G. tsugae's normal host is some kind of hemlock, especially Eastern Hemlock (Tsuga canadensis). "Hemlock pine" must be a local name that I've never heard before. Is it an actual pine species or just another name for T. canadensis?

Hemlock spruce would probably be more correct, sorry. Yes, I have cooked a number of times with Tsuga canadensis, specifically the inner bark and young spruce tips. It is a good wild edible. The bark makes a good meat substitute when simmered, and the tips are good for tea or sorbet uses. A mushroom would not seem likely to become toxic due to association with this tree.