Help with ID?

Maybe this is an easy one but it has me stumped.

Here's what I can tell you...

• Cap, stem and gills are a uniform light brown
  • Cap 1/2 to 1 inch in diameter, convex to flat
  • Gills free
  • Stem long, fiberous and usually twisting a little
  • Pronounced ring
  • Grows in the woods on dead wood, buried wood, wood mulch
  • Gregarious doesn't do it justice
  • Spore print yellowish brown
  • Found in Fairfield CT mid May after heavy rains

post-61-0-62470300-1305693427_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-47623900-1305693446_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-85869900-1305693459_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-91787000-1305693467_thumb.jpg

Maybe this is an easy one but it has me stumped.

Here's what I can tell you...

• Cap, stem and gills are a uniform light brown
  • Cap 1/2 to 1 inch in diameter, convex to flat
  • Gills free
  • Stem long, fiberous and usually twisting a little
  • Pronounced ring
  • Grows in the woods on dead wood, buried wood, wood mulch
  • Gregarious doesn't do it justice
  • Spore print yellowish brown
  • Found in Fairfield CT mid May after heavy rains

Thinking Agrocybe of some kind ... especially given they're very prolific by your descriptions.

Pictures also look somewhat like Galerina, but I believe they don't have an umbo, and not

that gregarious.

http://botit.botany.wisc.edu/toms_fungi/may2000.html

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/agrocybe_praecox.html

Spore print for Agrocybe should be dark brown, sometimes listed as "cigar brown." Pholiota veris looks like a good ID... seems to match T's observation very well (use T's links). However, these mushrooms give a general appearance that is similar to Agrocybe parecox types, another common brown springtime mushroom that often has a ring on the stalk. (Some authors refer to A. praecox a "species complex.") A. praecox seems to favor spread wood chips. Get some nice thick spore prints for different collections.

If I may weigh in, it is probably Agrocybe.

Pholiota could be a possiblily, but seriously, in the northeast (or at least in my area of the northeast), there are only two gilled mushrooms that are found in the spring, which makes them easy to indentify.

Agrocybe, and there are several species, the parecox "complex" growing in the forest and in gardens and in the forest...there are other Agrocybe species that are possible too. If the spore print was purplish then it is probably Entoloma verna (although the genus name has changed, I can't remember right now, rusty after the winter...)

so, don't get too excited, if you find a gilled mushroom in the spring, it is Agrocybe or Entoloma verna, bammm, identified..

T_T & Dave W I'm going to have to agree with the Pholiota veris ID. Of course I can't be 100% sure but that definitely seems to be the closest match. I also have tons of agrocybes popping up in the wood chips in my yard and they're clearly different from the pholiotas. Thanks for the ID guys, I think this is one of the more difficult IDs I've come across so far in my albeit limited experience.

• 2 weeks later...