Which Lactarius? Edible?

ChefsWild

Hmmm. I would have guessed this was an acrid-tasting one. I recommend caution. I'm assuming the latex did not turn yellow or violet. These types are toxic. One thing that works with acrid (or slightly peppery milkies) is to cold pickle (marinate) them. I have done this with L. piperatus, a very hot-tasting mushroom. Of course, after boiling in 3 changes of water, most of the peppery essence is lost. But the finished product has a nice crunchy texture. In Scandinavian countries these types are preserved by salting and layering/pressing between leaves. They are left this way for months in a cool dark cellar before being consumed. I have never sampled this type mushroom preparation.

Sampling as I go (and spitting), this mushroom has two distinct tastes: the initial flavor then the aftertaste. The range of the initial flavor goes from mild and not really detectable to "licked a wet dead goldfish that wasn't too fresh". The aftertaste ranges from mildly peppery to "holy sh*t I just bit into a raw horseradish root".