Albino Morel

OK, I have been picking Morels for many years, and I'm still not a pro. This one has me stumped. I came across them picking Blacks. It was around a White Ash. ( White Morels are barely starting ) and here are these guys. It looks like an Albino . Maybe the spores are Pink "LOL." Ya all now the shrooms on the second pictures . maybe because it's too mature , it could be a Delicosa. But it don't fit the description to me.

post-59-0-17439600-1305595446_thumb.jpg

post-59-0-11519200-1305595498_thumb.jpg

Those are really cool! They appear to be newly formed. The tightly arranged pits make it difficult for me to guess at whether they're from the "elata" or "esculenta" type. Wonder if there may be a couple mature specimens growing at the same spot. Jack, are you a member of Mushroom Observer? Maybe someone there has seen this.

Those are really cool! They appear to be newly formed. The tightly arranged pits make it difficult for me to guess at whether they're from the "elator "esculenta" type. Wonder if there may be a couple mature specimens growing at the same spot. Jack, are you a member of Mushroom Observer? Maybe someone there has seen this.

Dave, I posted it today 5-17-2011 at 9:00 am on Mushroom Observer. I would have left one growing , but I'm sure it would be picked very soon. Lots of pickers in that area ( State Land ) I don't know what I was thinking, as I threw them on a pizza with some other Morels. I should have dried them !!! Maybe someone would have wanted to dissect it with a scope. Too late now though. Maybe I should name it Morchella skrcenyii. LOL

Dave, I posted it today 5-17-2011 at 9:00 am on Mushroom Observer. I would have left one growing , but I'm sure it would be picked very soon. Lots of pickers in that area ( State Land ) I don't know what I was thinking, as I threw them on a pizza with some other Morels. I should have dried them !!! Maybe someone would have wanted to dissect it with a scope. Too late now though. Maybe I should name it Morchella skrcenyii. LOL

Those are pretty odd! If you go back there & find any more, send them to Michael Kuo at

Mushroomexpert.com -- he's been assisting with a research project collection morels of all types from the U.S.

The white might possibly indicate these are sterile, so maybe no possibility of spores. But the mycelia

and sclerotia are still down there, so you might get lucky next year.

I also sent link to this post and your M.O. observation to Michael Kuo