Attn: Dave ------- Tricholoma something or other......?

brianf

I would assume Dave would be the most experienced, but anyone with prior experience picking Tricholoma can feel free to chime in.

While I have been lucky enough to find Tricholoma Magnivelare before, these mushrooms just don't look the part. They look more like Caligatum, but both odor and taste are right in line with the Magnivelare.

Do you have any idea if this is yet another species of Tricholoma or do you think it's possible to see the western variety up here in New England? I have never seen a mushroom present like this. Normally, (still rare though), if I find Magnivelare it's pretty standard looking, smelling, and tasting.)

The real kicker? They're growing in grass between a Jack Pine (Pinus Banksiana) and a damn White Oak. Magnivelare prefers the pine, Caligatum the oaks.

Has anyone ever come across Caligatum that didn't smell and taste like the world was ending? Pictures show the same mushroom from three angles plus a cross section.

Either way, I'm tempted to pick the rest and consume blindly. Don't be like me.

post-797-0-43768100-1436789033_thumb.jpgpost-797-0-57087400-1436789036_thumb.jpg

post-797-0-53255500-1436789039_thumb.jpgpost-797-0-87375900-1436789043_thumb.jpg

Glad I caught this before consumption. Why does it have such a pleasant aroma and raw flavor? Any idea how often this gets mistaken for caligatum? How can one determine the exact hypomyces and do you know of any resources for determining edibility? As I understand it, lactifluorum renders inedible mushrooms edible (not keen on the lobster mushroom, have done zero research)........if so, does this rule apply to any other forms of hypomyces? (I am aware that the form that effects boletes renders them inedible)

How common is it for this to occur? If not for the trees, I wouldn't have even bothered with it. I really hope this is edible because it smells like heaven.

Obviously, true blusher's are edible, but there aren't any mushrooms that haven't been infected so I can't use nearby mushrooms as an indicator.

Am I walking too fine a line eating this one?

Since H. hyalinus renders a positive ID impossible, the old adage: "When in doubt throw it out" applies. People fortunate enough to survive eating A. phalloides have describe it as delicious. They didn't try it again. Remember, you can eat any mushroom, once.

Just did some REAL quick google research and came up with hypomyces hyalinus, which apparently only infects amanitas. And I do now see how the stipe has some characteristics in common with amanitas. I've seen a good amount of both muscarias and rubescens about. I've yet to spot any of the brown staining "death caps" this year, but I think I'll have to pass on this one.

Actually it's not just a. Phalloides to be worried about. A. Phalloides has been found in at least two parts of the U.S. And is probably spreading its range. There are other amanitas as well as other mushrooms with larger ranges that are seriously DEADLY. The old saying about there being old mushroom hunters and bold mushroom hunters, but no old, and bold mushroom hunters is often said for a reason. Be careful and not in a rush to become an instant exper.

I would recommend against eating an amanita infected with H. hyalinus. I would also recommend not eating Blushing Amanitas. Although some people enjoy them, the American rubescens types comprise more than one species, and perhaps these types correlate regionally. I have eaten Blushers twice... over 25 years ago. Once I thought it was pretty good, the other time I detected an unpleasant component to the taste. Also, there's the American Yellow Blusher, A. flavorubens, which is suspected to contain toxins. I have seen examples of amanitas that straddled the taxonomic boundary between the Blusher and the Yellow Blusher.

A. phalloides has been collected in PA. I know...

http://mushroomobserver.org/77398?q=2bwK1

A.Brunnescens is extremely common up here. I haven't heard of phalloides in N/A. I'm still slightly dubious about this, but I don't doubt this is at least a closely related mushroom, perhaps even an adapted or genetically mutated A.Brunnescens. I did read that article Dave and I agree with you, if this mushroom is appearing here, it was probably introduced with ornamental european trees.

I also was not aware that a captive species of Phalloides had escaped in California.

I definitely decided against consuming them.........I like to gamble, I don't like russian roulette.

As far as blushers go, they're easy to identify up here. I've eaten them in the somewhat distant past, but too have opted against attempting to find and consume them in recent years. There's too many other good mushrooms. Used to enjoy blushers and parasols on pizza. Now I know about the potential for phalloides, I'm still not too concerned as it really looks nothing like blushers.

I'll post pics of A.Brunnescens in a couple of minutes.

Two examples of A.Brunnescens. Can appear with or without scales. Doesn't always have the star-footed configuration. Actually, occurs quite frequently without the star-footed configuration. Can run from lighter tan to 1970's brown. Generally has a shiny/viscus almost metallic look to it. It's said to sometimes resemble a Parasol, however I have yet to see one of these in person. Though, that's probably just confusion with the browning parasol and the internet. Do these mushrooms look anything like what was collected? Picture may not do it justice, but you may notice the darker, brown staining.

post-797-0-70989300-1436888022_thumb.jpgpost-797-0-07256300-1436888026_thumb.jpg

post-797-0-42592200-1436888029_thumb.jpgpost-797-0-27203400-1436888033_thumb.jpg

post-797-0-86954300-1436888036_thumb.jpg

and for quick reference, a.rubescens:

post-797-0-87582400-1436888365_thumb.jpg

Darker browns, do not believe it to occur without scales, slimey/viscus, meaty look. Dry, older ones can look yellow to tan. I do not believe the word "Yellow" should ever be used to describe A.Rubescens.

It's somewhat difficult to tell, especially between both pics, but the mushrooms in this photo present with a pinkish, red gradual staining to the flesh.

Stipe also has a reddish/pink/brown coloration while the A.Brunn.... has a much lighter, whiter stem.

Still, these are mushrooms that we probably should all avoid. I have no real intention of attempting to consume blushers again.

AND ONE FINAL THING! As far as "you can eat any mushroom at least once".......I disagree with this. If you did happen to consume a death cap or destroying angel you would most certainly have more than enough time to consume a second meal consisting of the mushroom before death occurred. It's just a question of the individuals resolve.

Well, I guess one can eat a dangerously toxic mushroom like A. phalloides n times, where n is some small Natural Number. (Please excuse the geek humor... I can't help it... math teacher, y'know :-)

A. phalloides is fairy common in CA.

A. brunnescens and A. rubescens types are somewhat similar. In my experience, the "star foot" associated with brunnescens is not always evident. Also, there's a brunnescens look-alike called A. submaculata.

A. phalloides has been found all along the west coast from CA to southwestern BC. Here in Vancouver it is mostly associated with city trees imported from Europe, but that could happen in any decent-sized city.

Yes, you can thank scientists for spreading it throughout California.....I accept that now. Chances of it appearing in Southeastern, NH are still slim. Time is nobody's friend though and I'm speculating. With any luck, California will actually sink into the sea before Phalloides can truly escape.

When I accidently eat phalloides I am going to try my hardest to get through another 2 meals before my descent into darkness.

So......N=3.

I couldn't help myself so I ate those blushers last night as well........I'm not sure, but I don't believe I'm dying. If I have, I'm going to make the most out of my newfound ghostly opportunities. Nice late night snack of Mushrooms on toast with a fresh, home-reared, over-easy egg, a couple of slices oh home cured bacon I received as a gift and a slice of really nice sharp cheddar.

I'd be more concerned with confusing A.Submaculata with one of the Stropharia's than blushers. The second picture on that site looks dangerously similar to King's. Though, do they know if it's actually poisonous?

One final thing........typing on this website has made me realize just how poor my spelling has gotten over the years.