How do you know when it's over?

Around where I live we had TONS of rain in late April. When it let up I started finding my first morels. I didn't find them in the order the books usually predict but I guess that's in part because I don't have a lot of go-to spots yet. Last week was pretty good but since then I've found very few morels - all singleton esculentas and when I've gone back to spots I found them in earlier in the season I come up with one or none. In the coming days it looks like we might get a nice shot of rain and the temps are going to stay in the 70 high/50 low range (same range for the last 3 weeks). So my question to you more experienced morel hunters is - do you think we'll get another round of good fruiting or is it pretty much over except for a couple here and there?

post-61-0-60882600-1305346116_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-73760700-1305346133_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-49577500-1305346474_thumb.jpg

One way I know the season's end is nearing is the stiffness in my lower back --from all the climbing rocky ridges, bending over to harvest, crawing through undergrowth etc. I think our seaon here in NE PA is just about over... except for a few late-producing spots that I'll check during the next week. I'll also take another walk through my favorite local orchard, in hopes of finding a couple giants. Typically, mid May is when I take up trout fishing.

One way I know the season's end is nearing is the stiffness in my lower back --from all the climbing rocky ridges, bending over to harvest, crawing through undergrowth etc. I think our seaon here in NE PA is just about over... except for a few late-producing spots that I'll check during the next week. I'll also take another walk through my favorite local orchard, in hopes of finding a couple giants. Typically, mid May is when I take up trout fishing.

I finally got into some morels on Friday. Saturday, my back was so sore I could hardly walk. I'm going to need to work out in the off-season.

Mr. Morel Doctor has said he finds morels into August/September in the Northwest by going to higher elevations. I've never done such but I do know that higher elevations extend the season considerably.

I have accompanied Morel Doctor on some August Fire Morel hunts in Idaho... 2006. I think we were above 7000' asl. We got lots of morels, both conica (a type similar to our blacks) and grays/blonds (similar to our esculenta types). I have read about a place in Israel (nearby a reservoir, I think) where morels occur year-round!? There's a very late spot here in NE PA where we get a few nice morels as late as June 4.