Sulphur shelf lookalike

Very interesting! Structurally, this looks like a Laetiporus. But I know of no species with such a color on the underside as seen here. I wonder if some type of fungus has attacked a Laetiporus? Actually, I don't think so. I think this is just an unusual species of Laetiporus.

Sue, you should post these at Mushroom Observer. If you don't care to join MO, email the photos to me and I'll make the post.

From my previous finds, Cinnabar polyphores are usually more rounded in fan shape and are really brilliant orange and not so large too... so could be like what happens to make Lobster mushrooms has occurred on a sulphur shelf? I will email this pic to you Dave. your email in members profile?

Went back to site 3 days later to investigate more ...heres some more pics on a grey day. Colouring is quite different now and looks to be another white mould setting in. Took a small piece off and yes underneath are gills. I am doing a spore print too. So, Dave, any insights?

post-205-0-97290400-1436751557_thumb.jpg

I also found these bright orange ones growing from an old stump. Quiite big and they were quite soggy. Possibly Jack O Lantern?

post-205-0-97290400-1436751557_thumb.jpg

post-205-0-89331800-1436751692_thumb.jpg

post-205-0-89247900-1436751724_thumb.jpg

Those are gilled mushrooms pictured directly above, which automatically rules out Laetiporus. Looks like you've got two different species there, Sue.

Light colored ones are either Tapinella panuoides or Phyllotopsis nidulans.

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/tapinella_panuoides.html

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/phyllotopsis_nidulans.html

Orange ones are likely Omphalotus illudens, the Jack 'o Lantern, which is poisonous.

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/omphalotus_illudens.html

There's a COTW out there called Laetiporus Percinus...........it's pretty damn rare and this MIGHT be one. As long as it wasn't growing on a conifer the end product is generally the same. I think some call it the White Sulphur Shelf.........I have seen a few pictures where the pore surface is almost the color of orange juice, versus the cream or bright yellow we're used to. Chances of me finding one are zero as it won't be found here in New England and I don't travel often, but when I do, I don't tend to mushroom hunt.

I believe a few of these have been found down south, in places like Texas and Louisiana.

If you still have access to this mushroom try to get in contact with the biology department at LSU......those guys know a lot about the laetiporus

Laetiporus Gilbertsonii can carry that orange color on the pore surface as well as the cap surface......this is a west coast mushroom. It doesn't usually grow in that night streamlined scallop fashion. It's usually more bulbous or fatty looking.

You could also attempt to contact R.L. Gilbertson from beyond the grave.....he could help you out with this ID for sure.