Chanterelles 6-29-15

Black Oak mixed with Black (bull) Pine. Some white oak and hickory. Little understory, pretty open woods. Big trees. Area hasn't been timbered for a good while.

Same patch that I picked over two bushel from in the '13 season. Nothing last year.

Looks like two different species, both excellent edibles. This means you sorta get two chances at having a good chantie year. The smooth chants typically come out a couple weeks after the ones with well-defined pseudo-gills.

I did notice that some were the smooth Chanterelles. I think it depends heavily on rain now. I located several good patches in '13. There just were no chanterelles last year. I don't know why. If the hit, I have 4 or 5 places to check for them. One little ridge has a variety of pink ones. Odd color, but unmistakable as chanterelles.

Nice find 4rum. My best spot is on a creekside bench with mature white oaks. Ive found up to 80 under one tree. They mix well with black trumpets in the frying pan...I usually start finding hedgehogs around this time too. Im hoping I can get out this week with all of the rain we had. Have to admit a B. seperans in the oak forest where I go would make the trip for me.

Maybe Dave, but they were big, beefy chanterelles and really pink. Not a shade of red or orange, pink. I don't know if I still have photos. I'm hoping they show up this year. I did find three last year that I think are the Cantharellus cinnabarinus. They were also thick, heavy meaty mushrooms. There were bright red/orange with very white, very solid flesh.

Edit: Found photos of the Cantharellus cinnabarinus. These are NOT chickens.

post-325-0-66481400-1435746139_thumb.jpg

post-325-0-33482900-1435746142_thumb.jpg

Thank you John. I'll look those up. I'm not familiar with lobster mushrooms. I checked a second location that was good in '13. I found lots of very small chanterelles. I'm going to give it a few days and check again. None there last year, but in '13 there were at least a bushel at one time. It's on a steep ridge in White Oak. So steep that there are hardly any leaves at all. Most of what I saw today was smaller than a dime. Hope they grow :)

4rum

I find pinkish chanterelles that I believe are Cantharellus persicinus or peach chanterelles. They seem to pop right after the smooth chanterelles and in many of the same spots. It took some searching to assure their edibility, but I found little difference taste wise. I must have deleted the pics. They looked almost identical to the smooths but appeared washed out which made them stand out.

4rum, if the chanterelles you saw are immature c. cibarius they should grow with the rain. There may be a couple of small chanterelle species that grow near you also. C. minor and c. ignicolor may be mistaken for small c. cibarius. usually I can tell these apart by the stem on c. minor which seems rubberry, and c. ignicolor usually has a depression in the cap's center. Both are edible but small. I believe there was some talk about placing c. ignicolor in the craterellus group. C. ignicolor is supposed to be good for drying as the mushroom is small and hollow, which allows it to reconstitute well.

Thanks John, you were correct about the lobsters as well. We had some rain last night and another shower this morning. I have three or four places I will want to check in the next few days. Thanks for all your help.

4rum, I think maybe your robust pink chanties are Cantharellus persinicus. This species has a SE NA range.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantharellus_persicinus

Dave, thanks for that link. That sure looks like the ones I found in '13 (again, none last season). And you are correct. I think I have photos, but I haven't located any of those particular mushrooms yet. I have a small outdoor/photo site and I go through thousands of photos a year.