Early edulis

After morels and the springtime oysters disappear, the first really good edible to appear in my neck of the woods is often Boletus edulis. Usually, I start looking during the last week of June. But things have started early this year... probably as a result of the very warm May, combined with the recent ample rainfall. I basically missed the first flush this year! Looks like they got started around two weeks ago. Last Sunday I found a few fresh ones among the old rotten ones. In hot/humid/wet weather like we've had recently, they don't last very long before the bugs destroy them. But I still managed to get some nice ones yesterday. I think the early Boletus edulis will keep coming for about another week.

post-20-0-10496800-1434673638_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-91319800-1434673706_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-00993100-1434673787_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It's the most consistent thing going up here. It's been going for almost 4 weeks now. After today's rain, I expect to find even more tomorrow.

Prior to last year, I had never seen it growing around my immediate location, where I'm generally able to hunt.

I'll be looking forward to it's fall time return, that's for sure.

I've never really picked many boletes, but I found a few the other day while harvesting my first chants of the year. I'm going to give them a try finally. Not sure what types they are, but none are bitter. When I got home My daughter surprised me with a large black staining polypore and some yellow foot chants. It's hard to tell, but the boletes in there center are a deep purple color.

post-2-0-98783900-1435791544_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-40923500-1435791609_thumb.jpg

Evan, are you certain the one with the deep purple stalk isn't bitter? Looks like one of the bitter Tylopilus to me. The others look like Boletus separans... a very good edible, especially when sliced/dehydrated and then reconstituted for use in a soup or sauce. But often they are infested with insects. I got some nice ones last week. There should be more on the way.

post-20-0-64603400-1435808049_thumb.jpg

I tasted it tonight and it does have a slightly bitter flavor. Not as much as others I have tasted, but enough that I tossed them. I will try to get out some more this weekend for more chants and boletes. I hope we have a good run of chants this year so I can try some of the recipes that Mary has been posting.