Here's one that took me by surprise!

I have been wanting to get my hands on some corn smut. I know people who grow it intentioanally. I really want to try it. One day I hope! I hear it is like corn and truffles combined.

Well,I'm here in southeastern Indiana which is part of the corn belt. I've seen this stuff all my life. Actually as children we were warned to "not tough it 'cause it's poison!" Maybe that has something to do with my feeling I could never eat it!

Wade

Actually, now I recall a conversation with Britt Bunyard --editor of FUNGI MAGAZINE-- in which he related collecting corn smut near the campus of Penn State University. What time of year have you generally seen this, Wade?

I'd hate to try and put a finger on that but best I can remember maybe starting in late June and on thru the dry season.Seems like the first appearances are just about the time corn is tasseling out. The only real info I have on it is that provided to me which was a link to wikipedia.It did state something about it's use being the first 2-3 weeks of it's life.I actually just went back and found the link posted below. Wish I could be of more help but at least I'm trying!Ha!

Later

Wade

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corn_smut