Permission to hunt granted!

I'm thrilled to bits - just got permission to hunt a private wood near my home. :hampsterdance:

We're just starting to get warmer weather here north of Chicago- it's been cold (low 50's and below) and rainy. It's probably a bit too soon for morels ... but I will be out early tomorrow looking just for fun!

I can not recall ever being turned down when asking permission to pick. I always try to project an image of being a bit sheepish and slightly embarrassed and I find that land owners are fascinated by mushroom pickers. I also usually offer to share my take (no one has ever taken me up on that offer because they fear mushrooms) and I usually offer to take them with me to show them what is edible. Biggest problem seems to be to get the landowners to stop asking questions and to get to actually looking. Dont be shy, the very worst that can happen is they say no. If that happens just be polite, say something like sorry to disturb you have a nice day and leave right away. I dont recommend trying to get someone to change their mind. errr I suppose you could knock on the door of Jack the ripper and THAT would be worse than being told no but sometimes you have to just go for it.

I made my first foray into my new hunting grounds today, and while I found nothing, I think it's promising. The terrain is rolling, and is bisected by a proverbial babbling brook. The wood looks to be mostly ash, elm and some cherry with a few conifer patches mixed in. There are a few oaks - really mighty, monumental trees - but because the wood I hunt further north is primarily oak, I'm happy to have a different sort of environment. It's also adjacent to a cornfield, which means that there are bits of cob that - at first brief glance - look like a you know what. I think I have whiplash.

I don't think it's been warm enough here yet for morels. I did see quite a few pheasant backs that were just starting to fruit:

5677996411_f05bff04ff.jpg

Additionally, I spotted a very expired puffball of some stripe that still poofed spores when I poked with a stick:

5677997611_8624a61f19.jpg

And finally, I spotted these dinky little guys. Their caps are about the same diameter as a pencil eraser. They're so teeny that I didn't bother collecting any to ID.

5677976787_1d98f94592.jpg

It took me a while to figure out who owned this wood - it's not adjacent to a home. A private group owns it, and they gave me the OK readily. I'm very happy because it's really close to home - I can pop out to do quick checks later this week.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks TT. The land is part of a camp.

I'm away for a few days, which bummed me out, it was really warm earlier this week. However, the last few days have been cold and rainy. Not sure what I'm going to find when I get home on Sunday.

• 4 weeks later...

I can not recall ever being turned down when asking permission to pick. I always try to project an image of being a bit sheepish and slightly embarrassed and I find that land owners are fascinated by mushroom pickers. I also usually offer to share my take (no one has ever taken me up on that offer because they fear mushrooms) and I usually offer to take them with me to show them what is edible. Biggest problem seems to be to get the landowners to stop asking questions and to get to actually looking. Dont be shy, the very worst that can happen is they say no. If that happens just be polite, say something like sorry to disturb you have a nice day and leave right away. I dont recommend trying to get someone to change their mind. errr I suppose you could knock on the door of Jack the ripper and THAT would be worse than being told no but sometimes you have to just go for it.

Crap, trying to use this board on my android. I was trying to reply to dufferin.

Me "good to meet you buffalo bob, can I hunt mushrooms on your land?“

Buffalo bob "i think there are some in the pit in my basement you can have"

Me "alright!"

Crap, trying to use this board on my android. I was trying to reply to dufferin.

Me "good to meet you buffalo bob, can I hunt mushrooms on your land?“

Buffalo bob "i think there are some in the pit in my basement you can have"

Me "alright!"

Usually it's not a problem... but there have been a couple times that the person whose permission I was asking looked at me like I was Buffalo bob. :chook: