Hello again fellow mushroom enthusiasts!

I recently found two more very interesting mushrooms growing in my backyard in Tennessee! I am very excited about finding out what types of mushrooms these are!

MUSHROOM 1: This mushroom's cap measures 14 cm in diameter and the stem is 8 cm long. It was found in soil.

--Pictures of this mushroom are labeled "AM" and are the first 4.

MUSHROOM 2: This mushroom's cap measures 10 cm in diameter, and it has a 13 cm long stem. It was also found in soil.

--Pictures of this mushroom are labeled "Fishy Pepper" and are the last 5.

Thanks a lot!

~Shroomguy~

:panda:

post-1131-0-19191700-1433864491_thumb.jpg

post-1131-0-05536800-1433864492_thumb.jpg

post-1131-0-03208700-1433864493_thumb.jpg

post-1131-0-84066000-1433864493_thumb.jpg

post-1131-0-57854700-1433864503_thumb.jpg

post-1131-0-85542900-1433864504_thumb.jpg

post-1131-0-05129500-1433864506_thumb.jpg

post-1131-0-06555000-1433864507_thumb.jpg

post-1131-0-37007200-1433864508_thumb.jpg

Just saw these on Mushroom Observer. I agree with Pulk, these are likely Chlorophyllum Molybdites. But the mushrooms are very old and unlikely to produce a spore print. This would be a very telling trait. C. molybdites has a green spore print (an unusual spore print color). There are Macrolepiota species which are quite similar but have white spore prints.

Yes. They are both quite old, so some of the typical traits of C. molybdites are either difficult or impossible to observe. But on the one specimen I do see what appears to be a detachable ring on a long straight stalk. On the other specimen --which is either decaying of has been colonized by a mold-- the ring appears to have fused together with the gills. It's generally difficult to discuss the ID of a mushroom in a state of decay. But the traits I mention point toward either a Chlorophyllum species or a Macrolepiota species. (In the older field guides "Macrolepiota" is lumped into the genus Lepiota.) Growth on a lawn supports C. molybdites. Also, the predominantly white caps with small areas of brown scales in the centers point toward C. molybdites. Macrolepiota species generally show brownish scales scattered on the most/all of the cap surface. ]

Not sure which one is older, as the one specimen appears to possibly be moldy or subject to some other growth (possibly a type of fungus that grows on a mushroom).

It's best to discuss material that has just reached the point of maturity.

Hey Dave,

I have a question about the first mushroom. Is there a reason for the black "pepper-like" spots over the cap of the mushroom. It was due to those spots that I thought they were not the same species. However, I do believe that the second mushroom is C. molybdites. Can you tell me a bit more about how to tell if a mushroom is decaying or has fungal growth?

Thanks,

Shroomguy

I think the black spots are something growing on the mushroom, likely a fungus that colonizes mushrooms (fungus on a fungus).

Signs of decay vary, as do types of fungus that parasitize mushrooms. That crusty stuff on the second mushroom... I've never seen this, or at least I don't recognize it. But it's clear to me something has colonized this mushroom.