Cluck cluck cluck?

Yup, this is a Laetiporus. Looks to be a bit past prime, so the texture may be a bit woody. One person I know says you may braise the slices in chicken broth and the texture will revive. I think this type mushroom lends itself to lots of experimentation. One thing I've done with it is to add the slices to a spicy Vietnamese style curry... Masamala paste, onions, sweet peppers, Mung bean sprouts, and boiled white rice.

Oh no, this texture is absolutely perfect. That toothy texture is exactly what I'm looking for - it's very reminiscent of good chicken meat. A polypore of this age is an outstanding vegan meat substitute.

Not that I mind using actual meat, preferably killed by me, but I cook for a wide range of people and it's a fun challenge to focus on entirely plant based flavors and textures. Polypores are one of the most fun elements, and for that purpose the mature ones actually work better for me.

I understand your need for a meaty texture, but what I was wondering about was the possibility of older Laetiporus being somewhat indigestible. Does your cooking method get around this? Also, it's good to see you posting again.

Definitely not indigestible. I don't use them once they are rock hard and crumbly, just when they are a bit "toothy" in texture. Braising from fresh or frozen works great, and I've really enjoyed this mushroom at this stage. I actually prefer it to when it's overly tender and doesn't have much texture to work with.

I've made jerky from these. Turned out good. Marinated extra time. 72 hrs. in a zip lock in the fridge. Dried in a dehydrator. Good flavor throughout. I'll make more if I find it this year. Makes good 'hooters' HOT WINGS too.

I did "Not-chicken salad" with butter poached chopped chicken of the woods, baby potatoes, pan roasted oyster mushrooms, celery, pickled thistle bud caper, olive oil and vinegar. Tomorrow's picnic is going to be a yummy one!

Not a favorite of mine at all. I've tried it lots of ways and the best I could use it for was chicken of the woods pot pies. I had nice fresh, squishy ones too. I just find them to have any flavor and the texture throws me off.