Please help identify pennsy shrooms

Scot

Photos taken in filtered natural light, or lightly shaded natural light (outdoors), would help bring out the colors in the photos. I think the ones seen here are Gymnopus, probably one of the Gymnopus dryophilus group of species. Gill color can be a helpful feature with these types. Is the last photo of a spore print? If so, how would you classify the color, Scot?

Gymnopus dryophilus is known as the "oak-loving Collybia" in the Audubon guide... even though it is no longer placed in the genus Collybia and it is found in habitat where oak may or may not be present. This is a saprobic mushroom that grows on leaf litter, well-mulched forest soil, conifer needle duff, even grassy areas.

Mushroom Expert mentions the possibility of the spore print being slightly yellow. What sort of surface is the print taken on?

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/gymnopus_dryophilus.html

Print was taken on regular printer paper. I found similar mushrooms at the playground with my sons today where I've never noticed any before. Guess i have developed an eye for them. I live next to state forest. If the ticks were not so bad I'd see what else I could find. Appreciate the help.

Yeah the ticks... :-( The deer ticks (most dangerous ones) have subsided around here. I got bit this spring and it looked kinda infected. So even though I have been immunized against Lyme disease (only 90% effective) I contacted my physician and he called in an anti-biotic script. Now there's these large brown ticks that have become active, dog ticks I think. They don't seem as willing to bite as do the deer ticks. I was in the Poconos last Saturday and picked up 4 of them on a 3 mile walk. Permethrin works pretty well, but I didn't have on my treated clothing. Usually by mid June there's no worries about ticks unto they stage a resurgence in October.

Spore prints taken on paper can form along with moisture absorbed from the mushroom by the paper. This can cause the color to appear darker than normal. Non porous surfaces work best. Some people use aluminum foil.

Hey Scot!

I recently found mushrooms that looked just like the small white ones growing on a tree. I identified them as the pinwheel mushroom (Marasmius rotula). I hope that was helpful.

Best wishes,

Shroomguy

Yup, Marasmius rotula.

The thicker-stalked mushroom is trickier. It's not completely expanded, so we don't have a good look at the gills. Also, we don't know how the mature cap surface may differ... develop striations? loose the whitish sheen? A few possibilities for the genus are Psathyrella, Bolbitius, and Coprinellus.

An old polypore. The view of the upper cap surface looks like either Ployporus squamosus or Royoporus badius (= Polyporus badius). But the view of the underside appears to show fairly large pores. I think this is a P. squamosus (Dryad's Saddle) that fruited a month or so in the past.

The older the mushroom the more difficult it often is to get an accurate ID.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I think the tall one is another Megacollybia.

The smaller one with grayish-brown gills may be Stropharia hardii. This species often shows a ring on the stalk, but it easily falls off. Looks like the gills are attached to the stalk, which would eliminate the possibility of Agaricus.

The bolete looks like Tytlopilus felleus, the classic "Bitter Bolete." There are some excellent edible species of Boletus that look almost like T. felleus. It's okay to taste a small piece of a bolete and then spit it out.

I could not see any evidence of a ring. There are a lot of these about. I should have chosen a better specimen. I try not to pluck to many. I don't want to destroy them needlessly. I tasted the bolete and it tastes like a mushroom. I did not notice a strong bitter flavor. Hopefully, I will survive the day. If not, at least my wife will be happy.

First two... Boletus subglabripes (possibly), and B. hortonii almost certainly.

Dark bolete,,, Tylopilus alboater.

With white gills, Amanita brunnescens.

Brownish pores... Tylopilus. Possibly T. tabacinus or T. rubrobrunneus. T. Rubrobrunneus is extremely bitter, T. tabacinus maybe slightly. Scot, are you certain you have the physical ability to taste bitter? It has been estimated that up to 10% of all people lack the bitter taste bud. I'm referring to your report about the taste of the bolete I thought may be T. felleus (previous post). Not saying I'm certain it's felleus, just wondering.

Orange cap is an Amanita. Judging from what looks like a saccate volva (possibly sack-like membrane on the satlk base) and the ring, this may be something form Amanita section Caesarea... maybe A. banningiana.

Nice photos. Details are observable.

I would be very surprised if I were unable to taste bitter, as I enjoy bitter flavors. I really like a strong IPA. I did taste the Tylopilus and found it to be horribly bitter. I'm very surprised by how rapidly these mushrooms appear. The Amanitas, that are pictured below, I saw everywhere on my walk this morning. I don't remember seeing them the day before. I don't know how they could have escaped my attention. Can they really grow that fast? I also found many more Boletus, that I left in place. Although, I wasn't sure if I was looking at the same species. There are a lot of very subtle variations and when I look online there is seldom a picture that seems to match exactly. I also found some interesting stuff on the front lawn. Here are some more pics. Thanks again, Scot

post-1142-0-82831000-1435514941_thumb.jpg

post-1142-0-94165000-1435515397_thumb.jpg

post-1142-0-17356700-1435515471_thumb.jpg

post-1142-0-71702200-1435515551_thumb.jpg

post-1142-0-19449200-1435515928_thumb.jpg

post-1142-0-94162000-1435516041_thumb.jpg

post-1142-0-25021100-1435516068_thumb.jpg

post-1142-0-54036100-1435516289_thumb.jpg

post-1142-0-20523100-1435516422_thumb.jpg

post-1142-0-65328900-1435516446_thumb.jpg

post-1142-0-14241400-1435516654_thumb.jpg

post-1142-0-09053600-1435516666_thumb.jpg

Coral mushroom may be Artomyces pyxidatus... but I'm not certain. Ramaria is another possibility. Were they growing ion the ground or on wood?

First Amanita. Yes, given favorable weather conditions, mushrooms can pop up overnight. Don't know the species... need to see more of the mushroom... cap surface, base of stalk. Possibly A. praecox, but this is a wild guess.

The second Amanita (by the smallish red Russula) is another story. Nicely collected; all features intact and observable. I do not recognize this species. The grooves on the cap margin, ring on the stalk, and lack of saccate basal volva suggest section Amanita. But the warts on the cap are distinctly pyramid-shaped. Possibly Amanita velatipes, except the pyramid warts seem out of place.

The blue ones are Lactarius indigo... one of my "bucket-list" species! I've been hoping to find this, without success, for years.

Orange ones with decurrent gills are a species of Lactarius.

There may be more than one type of bolete in those last photos. I think the red-capped ones are Boletus campestris. The crusty yellow one has been colonized by a parasite, Hypomyces chrysospermus.