Bucket List

In all my years of mushroom hunting I've only brought home Beefsteak Mushroom a few times. The last time was in 2008, along a trail that I routinely visit. This one had just popped and the flesh was soft.

post-20-0-26592100-1433591467_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-49155200-1433591481_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-78344300-1433591498_thumb.jpg

I've found them several times, but never tried them. I think my main bucket list item would be Lobster Mushrooms. Never found them before. Until a couple years ago, it was Chants, but then found about ten lbs in two weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Beginning to worry about my season. I'm going out to places that were good for a variety of mushrooms over the last couple of years ... and finding nothing. It's warm, muggy, rainy ... still nothing. I've never seen fungi, in general, this scarce.

4rum, have you had any periods of dry weather? Sometimes it takes a drying-out for the mushrooms to get going. Kinda perplexing, though. Warm, rainy, muggy is usually a recipe for lots of mushrooms, and it's definitely late enough in the season for things to take off in southern WVA.

There have been a few dry periods, especially since I put in a small veggie garden. Having to carry water because the intense heat dries it out so quickly. Mid to upper 90's in my location every day for a while now. I'm at a loss to explain the absence of mushrooms this season. No one here had a good morel season. The one freak patch of wine caps is all I've found this year. I need to check my journals, but I think I was finding more 'stuff' by this time last year.