It's been such a long time!

In the words of one of our local bands, "It's been such a long time" since I've been on the forum. Hi all. It's been a heck of a winter here in Massachusetts but rumor has it we may see 50's tomorrow. Sadly there is still FEET of snow on the ground and in the woods but things are finally shifting here for the better. I haven't been in the woods in forever and have been spending my time enjoying one of my other hobbies, metal detecting. Hopefully we can get a good thaw going and my mushroom learning can continue. Anyway, just wanted to stop by, say hi and get back into the swing of things. See you soon with some new posts.

I'll be interested to see if you find any morels up there in MA. Like I had posted previously, the area is not noted as a morel hotspot... like, say, some areas in the midwest. But I'm sure there are places where they are found. One advantage to hunting morels where they are difficult to find is that there tends to be less competition. Here in NE PA there are spots where morels may be found, but I have done a fair amount of searching in order to find good locations. The upside is that, aside from a few spring turkey hunters who may grab a few morels on their way out of the woods, there's little competition at my prime spots.

I would guess that the different types of morels that occur in my neck of the woods probably also occur at similar times in most of MA... with the possible exception of the Berkshires, where they may pop a little later.