Sign in to follow this  
friendsoffungi

Agar work

Hi folks; I would like to hear any advice related to keeping agar from boiling over in a pressure cooker. I've finally resorted to a 2000ml flask, but this requires

a much larger pressure cooker, more water, more time. My 1000 ml flask usually ends up partially drained into the water. I am usually cooking 500ml of medium to pour a full sleeve of plates.

Sounds like you may be opening the pressure cooker before everything has cooled down enough. You should be able to sterilize just about any volume in the cooker without boil over. Many people prepare their medium in small batches (bottles 125 ml or 250 ml with loose caps.) When everything cools down to about 90° F they open the cooker and tighten the caps.

I did not locate a thread on agar solution, but it dawned on me I could buy it at the health food store! I was way too excited for that. I am learning how to make a solution with "potato sugar ". But I don't have potatoes. I have white enikorn wheat and bulgar wheat in excess. Would either of these work for sugar and nutrition for mushrooms?