Introduce Yourselves!!

Evan

I want to urge all new members and guests to post so we know who you are and can make you a part of our community. We are a small group of like minded people who love hunting mushrooms and sharing our experiences with each other. Please do the same, even if you are new to the forums. We are all very friendly and love to hear what everyone is doing in all parts of the world. I'm hoping that this board will help us all in our mushroom hunting obsessions. Please don't be afraid to jump in. I for one have learned more from the folks here than anywhere else and want to make sure that the rest of you can enjoy the knowledge that I have gained from all involved.

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Howdy !! I am Marilee Kauffman. I am 49, I live in southern New Jersey. :applause: I Love Love love me some wild mushrooms !! I have felt them calling me into the woods for about five years now. I do eat a few that I am POSITIVE of !! I would like to get a few new recipes if anyone has any..

I am very happy to be here and am hopeful that I will make many new friends !! :veggiedance:

• 2 weeks later...

I am a new member and new to North American mushrooms. I always loved picking them, as a kid, we used to do it as a family in Siberia over 20 years ago. My favorite ones were the slimy ones," Slipery Jacks" ( I think that's what they are called, I could be mistaken) I am in London ON, and finding an ubundunce of new mushrooms that I am trying to learn and identify. I posted on the Ontario discussion, feel free to comment, I will be posting some photos there as soon as I fugure out how to.

I am looking forward to learning from everyone here! And would be great to find some local friend to go picking with. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings, All, from Vermont. I'm making nearly daily visits to my nearest wild mushroom garden, and am harvesting a healthy haul of boletes, puff balls, and blewits. Haven't been able to travel to my chanterelle and shaggy mane sites yet. Have several mushrooms I'd like to identify, especially a trumpet that smells wonderful and I hope turns out to be a delightful edible. Very glad to have found this forum!

Welcome to all our newest members. We are happy you have found us. People are quite friendly here and helpful so feel free to ask questions and especially if you need help identifying anything unkown to you. It's always best to give as much info as you can about the mushroom you need help with. Photos of the mushroom as a whole, under the cap, over the top are good to help with ID's. With that said, welcome aboard and we look forward to getting to know you all.

Mary

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey All! My name is Austin and I am a newbie from Oklahoma. Currently living in the mountains in south central Oklahoma. Lots of mushrooms and fungi to check out here. Always been interested in shroom but just now started researching and working on identifying them. Can't wait to learn form all of you veterans! bless you.

AA

:dancing:

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I live in the Greater Toronto Area in Ontario and I have picked wild mushrooms all my life. I love nature and I do a lot of canoeing and camping; even though I rarely go just mushroom picking, I always try to find edible mushrooms. I'm not an expert and I'm extremely careful with mushrooms; I'm sure that plenty of mushrooms I don't pick are perfectly edible, yet since I'm not 100% sure, I let them be. I'd love to post photos of mushrooms I encounter for identification (even though I have 4 or 5 mushroom books, sometimes it's still difficult to positively identify a mushroom).

I hope I will visit this site more often this summer.

Jack

Hello aushroom and Jack. Glad to have you aboard.

If it's your hope to get some ID help by posting photos, then please read the info in the "mushroom identification" thread. And try to remember to post only small file photos. Otherwise our capacity gets used up quickly.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, my name is Maureen. I live in Connecticut, on a small piece of woodsy property that seems to produce SO many different wild mushrooms! I remember as a child, we would get visits from "The Mushroom Man" who would come and knock on the door and ask my mother if he could pick the mushrooms. I wish he still came... I would love to know what some of these are, and what he did with them.

Glad to be here!

Hi, my name is Maureen. I live in Connecticut, on a small piece of woodsy property that seems to produce SO many different wild mushrooms! I remember as a child, we would get visits from "The Mushroom Man" who would come and knock on the door and ask my mother if he could pick the mushrooms. I wish he still came... I would love to know what some of these are, and what he did with them.

Glad to be here!

Welcome aboard!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, my name is Jackie and I'm from Texas. I know pretty much zilch about mushrooms!

I've been into identifying and cooking with wild plants for years though and figured it's time to branch out a little. The problem is with most of my current plant books, if they have a section on mushrooms at all it's basically just to explain how easy they are to misidentify and how they'll probably kill you horribly so I'm just ever so slightly terrified of even trying one. :blush:

Hopefully having real people to consult with in addition to the internet and the new book on the way will help me get over this somewhat, though. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, My name is Jacob. I live on cape cod. I enjoy all types of mushrooms, and have appreciated them since i was a young child. so far the only mushrooms I have learned to ID are Panaeolus Cinctulus, Panaeolopsis Sp., and Panaeolina Foenisecii. Obviously I enjoy the Psychedellic varities, but I would love to start learning more about the edible mushrooms that don't cause hallucinations... lol. I hope to learn a lot, and maybe even teach a bit..

Welcome, Jacob. You have come to the right place for help with edible mushrooms. There are better places to discuss the psycotropic mushrooms, so we leave that up to places like the Shroomery. If you are truly interested in edibles and just learning about what you are finding where you live, then feel free to ask all the questions you want and post photos for ID help. Read about what kinds of things we need to see or know about to help with IDing a mushroom, in the ID forum.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello,

My name is Lisa C. I live in Connecticut and have, for about a year, gotten into all things mushrooms. Last spring (2011) I found my first morels, one bite of which was enough to convince my fiance that wild mushrooming would be a fun hobby. In the fall last year we found some oysters, which he courageously retrieved from a bog. This spring the morels were elusive, but i haven't lost interest. I am having fun bringing home bags of samples and trying to identify them and I am looking forward to everyone's help in that process! Nice to meet you all :)

Lisa

post-309-0-94469000-1346424747_thumb.jpg

Nice to meet you Lisa and welcome to the boards. There is lots of good info already here and don't hesitate to post photos of mushroom if you need help with anything. Have a look at the threads on how to ask for help in identifying mushrooms so you know what info is needed so we can best be of help to you. I'm glad you found us.

Hello,

My name is Wesley Price. I live on Cape Cod, Southeastern MA. I just found this site after spending some time searching.

I have started the Cape Cod Mushroom Blog last month http://www.mushroomocean.blogspot.com

I will be leading a walk this fall at the Long Pasture Audobon in Yarmouth, the more the merrier.

Anyway, glad to have found a group of fungi folks. I attached some pics of Armelliaria mellea that I found last week.

-Wes

post-312-0-32369600-1346687582_thumb.jpg

post-312-0-28739000-1346687589_thumb.jpg

post-312-0-16933400-1346687594_thumb.jpg

Looks like we've got a few members who ive on Cape Cod. Although I am not familiar with CC, I have heard that many rare and unusual mushrooms may be found there. At the NEMF foray this August, Alan Bessette showed a photo of a bolete that is known to occur only in CC. A mushroom hunter I know says that he finds Matsutake in CC (under pine).

Hi, I found your forums while researching possible poisonous effects of certain leccinum.

I live in the hills of northwest Georgia and am in my "golden years". I consider myself an advanced mushroom beginner. My primary interest is finding good, safe edibles, but I also love just being able to put a name to as many kinds as I can, whether they are edible or not.

My main loves are camping, studying mushrooms and wild edibles, and photographing the interesting things I find.

For all our new members, and we have lots of them in the last month or so, it would be very helpful to me to know how you found us. What was your search criteria? It would help our ranking in search engines to know what searches you used to locate this site. Please respond to this forum. Thanks!

did you use Google? what did you search under? was this board easy or difficult to find?