Introduce Yourselves!!

Evan

I used Bing. I was searching specifically for information on leccinum. Bing provided a link to this board.

So happy to have found you. So far, the posts I've seen seem knowledgeable and I feel good about finding reliable information here.

There is so much "well, it looks like the picture" advice on the net, and I have seen so many mushrooms identified incorrectly elsewhere.

BTW my strange avatar is my Wordpress Gravitar. They automatically inserted it when I registered for this board, in case you were wondering. :)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey everyone.

I probably know of several of you, and I'm sure many of you have never seen me around here.

To be honest, I've been away from this forum for a long time, mostly due to the advent of Facebook and the insane amount of mushroom and fungi groups there.

I reside in Ontario, Canada and have a great love for the outdoors.

Years ago, I traded in my bows, rifles, shotguns and black powder accessories for a field guide and a mushroom knife.

Having hunted morels as a small child, I was always curious about other fungi I often saw.

So, for the past 15 years, I've spent as much time in the woods as possible, teaching myself, using guides and the internet to broaden my knowledge of mushrooms. I love them. To me, no greater relationship exists than that of a host tree and the fungi it helps to support.

I pick for my table and I also sell to a few, select chefs. I conduct small, local forays, where folks that want to learn about common fungi, both edible and otherwise compensate me for sharing with them.

Most recently, with the downturn in the economy, I've been left unemployed and existing on a fraction of what I used to make.

These activities help me out.

Unfortunately, when one turns to a hobby for monetary gain, something becomes lost along the way. It got to the point that I wouldn't even take the time to photograph mushrooms, always looking for what might make me a dollar.

A mistake, out of necessity, you might say. Although I still make money doing what I love, I've learned to take the time to remember the love and not concentrate on the end result so much.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but I take an all or nothing approach to most all I do.

Cheers.

Looks like we've got a few members who ive on Cape Cod. Although I am not familiar with CC, I have heard that many rare and unusual mushrooms may be found there. At the NEMF foray this August, Alan Bessette showed a photo of a bolete that is known to occur only in CC. A mushroom hunter I know says that he finds Matsutake in CC (under pine).

Yes we do have some Matsutake (pine mushrooom)...I find a few every year...Hopefully I'll make it to NEMF next year.

Hello, My Name is TJ, Im from St Louis, MO. I am 30 years old. I have been hunting morels for over 20 years. Most recently i have hunted, chickens, hens, and chantrelles. I joined this site to get a better understanding of mycology, and to see when the mushrooms are starting to pop up.

Hello, My name is Jacob. I live on cape cod. I enjoy all types of mushrooms, and have appreciated them since i was a young child. so far the only mushrooms I have learned to ID are Panaeolus Cinctulus, Panaeolopsis Sp., and Panaeolina Foenisecii. Obviously I enjoy the Psychedellic varities, but I would love to start learning more about the edible mushrooms that don't cause hallucinations... lol. I hope to learn a lot, and maybe even teach a bit..

Hi Jacob,

If you are on Cape Cod and would like to attend a mushroom walk, I am leading one on Sat sept 29th from 10-11:30 at the Long Pasture Audobon. You can also check out my blog for Mushroom I.D. Help www.mushroomocean.blogspot.com

Wes

Morning all;

I'm Sam, username 4rum. I'm from the Appalachian Mountains and will gladly narrow that a bit for anyone interested. I've harvested morels for nearly 60 years. I had never picked any other mushroom for cooking and eating. In August of this year (2012) I started a search online for a fall mushroom. Now, two weeks later, Chicken of the Woods was an obvious choice. I've been extremely lucky in finding an abundance of them near my home. To me, they are easily identifiable, easily prepared and delicious. So far I like a good stir fry the best but I've only just started developing recipes. I did one batch with a home made HOT WING sauce that is fantastic! Last Friday I harvested enough to 'put up' 6 quarts in my freezer.

I'm very new here and new to harvesting mushrooms except for morels. I will have many questions and hope to share my experiences with others as I learn from you.

I've read a little on the site here and for any bandwidth concerns over attachments ... a free Photobucket account = 0 bandwidth usage.

Hope everyone has a great day today!

Hi Sam, I'm haeding out on a road trip from FL to PA by way of GA, SC, NC, VA, WV, MD and then PA. I will be camping, photographing, mushrooming, foraging etc. enroute. I'm hoping to find some nice, fresh chickens, hen of the woods (Maitake), and whatever else I can find..including paw paws! Welcome to the board and as far as photo storage is concerned, we are moving the board to a new server and this will no longer be an issue. We were limited here by how much we were willing to pay for storage and the new server will not be an issue.

Hi everyone, I'm Adam, 35, from Stirling, Scotland. I started mushroom hunting last year after wanting to give it a go for a few years, so I'm still very much a novice. I have found and successfully identified quite a few different mushrooms, but being a novice I'm a little nervous about eating them (except for a couple that I was certain about) in case I make a fatal mistake! I looked at a few mushroom forums, but this one seems to be the most active, so I'm hoping for some good mushroomy banter and advice! I noticed most of you seem to be on the other side of the pond, so I'm hoping you'll be able to help me out with my Scottish mushrooms! Looking forward to getting to know everyone here.

Cheers.

ladyfish ...

... better hurry, short season on paw paws this year. It took me years of transplanting from my dad's old place to get a grove started but they're doing great now.

http://i324.photobuc...pawtime-800.jpg

Those look really nice...are they Asamina triloba or something different? They look different from what I found today.

ladyfish;

The one pictured is 'ripened' the way my mom used to like them (same with bananas). Paw paws get sweeter as they ripen. The peel on this one was totally black, but the fruit inside was delicious. I had one from my trees today as I was heading out to look for more 'chicken shrooms'. It had that golden patina of the ones you have there. It was soft, gooshy and soooooo good. I like eating them like a 'push up'. Break 'em in half then just squeeze the pulp up to eat it.

On the transplanting ... kept going smaller and smaller on the size of the saplings, watering like crazy and just lots and lots of TLC. It has paid off.

All I need now is a partner like your traveling companion there. Love dogs.

Safe journeys

Sam

Hows it goin everybody? I'm from the WA coast and have been an avid picker for about 15 years...Things are finally shaping up around here we need some rain, never thought I would be saying that here. I've been getting some hedgehogs, chicken of the woods, lobster, chantrelles and some varnish hemlocks...

Full buckets

'lo Pickinpox;

Never picked anything but morels until August of this year. I have been blessed with beginners luck on 'Chicken of the Woods'. I've found them practically within sight of my house and boy am I happy! I'm new to the site so I'm looking forward to settling in just like you.

'rum

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, I'm Bob. I live in South Jersey. My interest in mushrooms came in a round-about way. I've always loved the outdoors and I love to cook. In the early 80's a market opened in philadelphia that sold exotic mushrooms, morels, chanterelles, trumpets, lobsters,etc. The usual suspects. I learned almost by accident that these mushrooms could be found right where I live. I joined a club and made all the newbie mistakes. I picked everything and asked "Is this edible? Is this one edible? I was hooked. I look at the woods in a completely different way now.

Hi there from Vernon, BC, CANADA. Sure am glad to have found this group! This time of year in the fall I'm up in the hills collecting firewood and trying to avoid stepping on all the mushrooms. The mushrooms up there are so prolific now and some are quite beautiful. I find it quite intriguing that a clump of mushrooms that all look identical can be very different underneath their caps.post-351-0-45270600-1349458517_thumb.jpg These were growing under a dead lodge pole pine. The one on the left is crazy prolific (white gills, white spore on white paper overnight), and the one on the right (yellow pores not gills and left it in the bush), I dunno they look the same from the top to me. I hope to change that, thank you!