Brown Mushroom ID help needed

4rum

Sure appreciate every response on this. It's been great to hear from you all. I have to say, the mushroom I started the thread with is still in question to me. It was fresh, heavy, meaty yet dry to the touch on top of the cap. I hope to find more like it. The color was pretty distinctive too. Just strengthens the fact that it's hard to ID a mushroom from a photograph and poor description from a novice.

How about Pleurotus Eryngii. It definitely looks very similar to the ones I regularly collected in Europe. They grow on the decaying root of several plants and often detach when you pull them out so most of the time it is not evident they are growing on the root. Not sure it has been described in NA though, but then again, it has been widely cultivated in the last 10 years, so possible is spreading :-)