Using your spent oyster bags

If your oyster bags have fruited for the last time, don’t throw them away!  Use them to build new bags or buckets.

I recently gave a talk and had them walk through actually building oyster bags.  I wasn’t sure how many were attending and I only had one bag of oyster spawn, good to build about 14 bags.   So I emptied it into a clean plastic tub, and mixed in the contents of two of my oyster bags that had finished fruiting.  Then i filled 35 zip lock bags each with a cup and a half of this mix.

I came back with 23 bags of spawn mix left, so i built 23 oyster bags.  Have given four bags away.   My remaining 19 bags are pinning and it looks like  no I’ll have to plan some mushroom dishes for Easter.