Brown Slimy Mushrooms With Gills

4rum

Growing nearly side by side with the Suillus I'm finding are these. They look almost identical from above (the caps) except some of the caps get just slightly concave toward the center with age. They are just as slimy as the Suillus and the small ones are slimy down the stem and all the way to the ground.

This first one is about 3 inches in diameter across the top. I haven't seen any much bigger in this small patch.

15601153407_1f36afb6e2_o.jpg

15601152727_174d10bfe0_o.jpg

This small 'button' is very slimy right down the stem all the way to the ground. Note the veil has not opened to reveal the gills yet.

15786314265_b6ec7f0f6c_o.jpg

15600486339_6c64c77579_o.jpg

I think there may be two types of mushrooms shown in the above post.

First one looks like one of the brown Tricholomas, of which there are a several different species that are difficult to tell apart. This one appears to not be slimy, although if it had recently rained then the cap surface may have become slippery. Most of the brown Trichs are sickeners.

Second one looks like one of the several late-season slimy Hygrophorus species. There types are mainly pine associates. The partial veil is very slimy and may or may not form a ring or ring zone. Some possibilities are Hygrophorus fuligineus and H. paludosus are two possibilities. Some people rate H. fuligineus as a good edible. It is a chunky firm-fleshed mushroom that has a decent flavor. I used to collect it for the table. Dealing with the slime is a problem. I used to wipe the mushrooms with a paper towel to reduce the slime. Years back I used to run into a guy who collected only this type. He said he used them in tomato-based spaghetti sauce.

One brown Trich species, T. vaccinum, has a fibrous partial veil when in the button stage. So if this type is growing along with the Hygrophorous, the buttons may be misidentified.