ChefsWild

Even remotely worth messing with maitake spores?

I picked a very sad looking, half dried up and buggy old maitake yesterday that is positively dusty with white spores on the inside. Is it even remotely worth attempting a low-tech spawning of this material on my backyard oak trees? It's not something I've tried before, and I've heard these guys are difficult to grow even for experienced folks.

Hope you don't mind if I pop on hear to follow the topic.  I routinely bury my trimmings next to a tree in hopes if getting a mushroom. 

Every time I clean mushrooms I throw the trimmings in the front or back yard. After a few years of doing this, I've had Shaggy Manes popping up in an area where they would not normally grow. I've also continued to have a Maitake growing on one tree in the front yard. However, that was there before I started doing this. I still haven't been able to get any other oaks to grow one yet. I would say its definitely worth a try. I have normally only taken a few chunks of the Maitake and placed it on ground by the tree. Never used a whole mushroom to do it.