Hello from the Pacific Northwest

NW4aGr

Hi All! I am from Gig Harbor, WA and am new to this forum. I love the outdoors, fishing, hunting, and foraging. Currently I am only comfortable identifying chanterelles and morels but would love to expand my horizons. Anyone else on here from the Pacific Northwest?

Hello, and welcome to the forum. There are a few of us from the PNW, but most of the members are from eastern North America. I hope that we can help with your expansion plans.

Welcome to NW4aGr and natvik. There are more and more people from the PNW joining here all the time. I used to live in the PNW so am pretty familiar with mushrooms and foraging there, actually more so than east coast and midwest since most of my foraging was west of the Mississippi and Rockies. I am in SW Florida now where we have lots of oddities but not so many gourmet edibles. Always a trade off.

Thanks for the welcome!

I spent last weekend under the tutelage of Steve Trudell as he led us through an ID clinic near Olympia. A cold but very enthusiastic group trying their best to keep up with the always changing names of the various species. Seems to me that the opportunity for classification business is open ended. Steve mentioned the cost of DNA and I was shocked to learn how low it has dropped. Anyhow, thanks again for the welcome.

Steve Trudell said the cost was $40 or $50 bucks from a Spanish company. It is not strait forward since there may be some prep work? But that didn't sound like he thought it was a big deal. I believe - but am not sure I remember what he said exactly - that it also depended on how much of the DNA you get read. IOW, the important parts cost less to get read than if you want more of the the in between stuff. That make sense? ............So my question then is; what do you do with the "read" when you get it? How do you compare it to what has already been done? Do you have to be an expert in reading the code for it to have any meaning?

As a separate item, a tip of the hat to our local club president Chris Herrera who coauthored an article in the latest FUNGI magazine that just came yesterday.