Another interesting mushroom !!!

Phillipsia subpurpurea, as shown in Wikipedia, looks somewhat similar, although the form is somewhat different. Also, it's described as an Australian species; and I don't think that oaks are endemic to Australia.

CajunShroomer, would you mind if I borrowed your photos to show some people to try and get an ID? Also, I need an idea of scale. How big is this? And where in the US is this located? All key things in getting an ID.

Thanks everyone ! I checked out mushroom observers website and they're a little high tech for me. I figured y'all would enjoy this as much as I do. I'm like a kid in the candy store when I go out foraging. It's amazing all the specimens I used to just walk right by when doing other outdoor activities.

I asked David Arora and he says he doesn't know a lot about cup fungi, but thinks perhaps it is "Sarcoscypha, perhaps S. dudleyi, but I know very little about cup fungi. The white underside is what makes me think Sarcoscypha."

...or at least close to the correct species. Still some ongoing debate regarding the ID of these mushrooms.

I didn't see your post, vitog. Or else I would have also proposed "Phillipsia." I'll check later today to see if this genus is documented in the NA Ascomycte guide.

If you have access to specimens, then dried material would probably be of interest to someone who studies these things. Evidence points toward this being a very unusual occurrence for North America. Genus Phillipsia is not even mentioned within the recently published --and quite extensive-- field guide to NA ascomycete fungi.

• 2 weeks later...

Dave, to relocate these would be pretty challenging. I was out in a big set of woods when I found them. What do you mean by " dried material would be of intrest"? Drying them out for further observing ?

Thanks puddleduck!!

Rum, from what I'm being told, I've found a pretty rare specimen to North American. Found these in South Louisiana

Dave, it'll be difficult but not impossible. Actually pin pointing the location where I found them will be difficult. I've probably traveled 10 miles on foot that day foraging. I was just taking pictures not really paying attention to where I found each specimen. I'm pretty new to this so I didn't think anything of it at the time. May take a little while but I'll do my best to locate and harvest them.