Oyster Mushrooms?

missourimorris

The only question I have is whether the second photo shows the same type of mushrooms as the others. The ones in the second photo appear to be growing on the ground. I have seen Oyster Mushrooms growing like this... from buried wood or roots. Other photos look like Oysters. Second photo may also be Oysters; just not as confident about IDing these.

Caution is a desirable trait for anyone who hunts edible mushrooms... beginner or otherwise. Take your time, learn a few types. Oysters is a good one for a beginner. But there are similar types... Pleurocybella, Crepidotus, Hohenbuehelia, Panellus. None of these are known to be poisonous.

Thank you for your comment. Although it is not clear in the second photo, that mushroom was growing out from where a deciduous tree stump met the dirt. All of the photos are actually taken from a cluster of mushrooms I found growing on or within a few feet from that stump and the wood surrounding it. But I respect your admonition and will opt out of picking this one when I return. Also, I appreciate your comment regarding ID'ing oysters for beginners; I too observed that the consequences of misidentifying oysters with similar types do not appear as risky as with other varieties, although I plan to steer clear of anything resembling Angel's Wings.

Sounds like a plan, morris. I think you're well on your way to understanding Oyster Mushrooms.

Actually, you're mentioning Angel Wings is a reminder to me... to advise that Pleurocybella porriegens should probably be avoided. I used to eat Angel Wings, but have avoided them since reading about a serious incident in Japan. Yes, learning Angel Wings is a good idea. These are reported to grow on coniferous wood. Here in eastern PA I find them almost exclusively on hemlock. They are pure white with white spore print. The flesh is somewhat more fragile than with Oysters (Pleuotus species).

Sorry for the oversight.