Purple mushrooms

pumplinpen

Been seeing a lot of purple mushrooms recently. For these, I was looking under Cortinarius but am not confident because the cap color is more vibrant than specimens in the guide, and they are much larger in size. Caps are about 5 to 6" across. These were found on the ground in mixed woods.

post-474-0-52953600-1413580327_thumb.jpg

post-474-0-05959100-1413580332_thumb.jpg

post-474-0-63747800-1413580336_thumb.jpg

post-474-0-08833400-1413580341_thumb.jpg

Cortinarius is a very large genus featuring cap colors that range from brown, greenish, yellow, tawny, red, lilac, and purple. This looks like one from the Cortinarius variecolor species complex. I have found them to be late-occurring, Oct/Nov.

I would put money on these specimens being Cortinarius. You can see the typical rust-stained remnants of the cortina on the stem of the one in the first photo, just under the cap.