Brown Mushroom in yard in Georgia - Help with ID

CamT

I think this may be a species of Russula. There's a section (category) of this genus for which the mushrooms have prominent odors, often described as like Maraschino cherries mixed with garbage. But, the unpleasant component may be masked by the cherry/almondy odor. These type mushrooms have creamy to white spore prints. They are said to cause indigestion/gastric distress if eaten, but they are not considered to be dangerously poisonous. Russula mushrooms have brittle stems that may be snapped in half like a piece of chalk. Compare with   http://www.mushroomexpert.com/russula_amoenolens.html

The second photo shows gills that appear to have a slightly pinkish tinge, but I think this is just because of the lighting/camera. Was the photo taken indoors? To be sure the mushroom is not an Entoloma, take a spore print. Entoloma mushrooms have salmon-pink spore prints. Pluteus mushrooms also have pinkish spore prints, but these types have free gills (not even slightly connected to the stalk), and the gills seen here look to be attached but seceding (breaking away). If you get a spore print that's pinkish, then find someone with a microscope. Poisonous Entoloma mushrooms have distinctively-shaped spores (see at 400x magnification). 

Hi, this is such a great resource. Thanks for any info anyone wants to share.

I have these growing in Virginia and I am guessing they are the same. The squirrels are going crazy eating them so I wondered if they are edible. As described the stems seem way tougher than ones you would eat. Here are a couple photos before they were eaten:

PXL_20230602_195605835.MP.jpg

PXL_20230602_195629194.MP.jpg

I don't think these are the Russula soecies as previously discussed. The small scales seen on the cap surfaces would be unusual for Russula. 

However, on the right side of the last photo I *think* I may see a ring/annulus on a stalk (not sure... view is a bit fuzzy). Also, is that small mushroom in the lower central pat of the photo inverted? It looks like there may be a partial veil (covering over the gills).  If these suggestions are correct, then you likely have a species of Amanita... maybe one of the A. amerirubescens species (Amanita rubescens in many filed guides). 

Another possibility is Desarmillaria caestiptosa. This type has scales on the cap, but does not have partial veil/annuls. 

It would help to see the undersides and entire stalks. 

I recommend not eating these. If they are Russula, then probably not one that tastes good and may they also cause illness. If Amanita, then some of these types are dangerously poisonous. Some people eat A. rubescens. But, at least one of the taxa that goes by this species name contains a volatile toxin that may cause serious illness. This toxin is likely removed by cooking, which may be the reason why some people safely eat them.