ID Request

Spore prints are white. Found growing from ground or maybe wood chips under weeds in a hardwood dominant forest with mainly privet bushes growing around. Temps have been in 60s during the day and 40s at night with some rain. I think they may be the deer mushroom look alike but not %100. All comments are greatly appreciated. 

93728812-B66D-42A4-BFD3-71C039AEA691.jpeg

5754D884-9D04-4DC7-BC8E-4E4B7CEAB81A.jpeg

0C58F068-5CCA-4E0B-BE62-0A5E406EB755.jpeg

0D9BC5AE-9D4B-4B4C-99F4-F232CC8BD75A.jpeg

Not related to the "Deer Mushroom." That is, not a species of genus Pluteus. We can tell by the attached gills (meet and attach to the stalk) and white spore print. 

I'm not so confident about proposing what this is. Possibly a species of genus Collybiopsis (which includes apecies previously housed in Marasmiellus or Gymnopus). 

Thanks Dave!!! It definitely resembles some in that species. I didn’t think it was related to the deer mushroom but I think I may have stumbled upon some of these a few years ago and found out that they are an edible look alike to the deer mushroom. Are you familiar with any deer mushroom look-alikes? Not sure if that would be a Russula or what but I remember them having white gills instead of pink and not smelling like radishes. 

Maybe you're referencing Megacollybia rodmanii as the Pluteus look-alike. Some people consider this species to be edible, but it also causes indigestion for some others. I tried eating M. rodmanii a couple times. I didn't rate it as g=being very good. M. rodmanii grows on wood (like Pluteus), occurs early in the season (like Pluteus), has attached gills that often secede (break away from the stalk) which can then look like free gills, but has white spores. Pluteus has salmon pink or pinkish tan/brown spore print. 

M. rodmanii is a reasonable proposal for the mushroom pictured. But this species features mushrooms that are usually considerably larger than the one seen in the photos. 

Here's a suggestion that comes with somewhat increased confidence, Marasmius nigrodiscus  https://www.marylandbiodiversity.com/view/21088 . Or maybe a species similar to this. Genus Marasmius includes mostly wood-inhabiting species that produce small mushrooms with flexible/wiry stalks. But, there are several species that are quite contrary to this description. 

I haven't ever tried eating M. nigrodiscus. I suspect the species name may actually refer to a group of similar taxa. The only Marasmius species I eat is M. oreades, and the mushrooms discussed here are not that species. 

Okay thanks Dave! It’s funny how when looking Marasmius oreades up they don’t seem to grow in a cirlcle. Is there another fairy ring mushroom that does? Perhaps bigger and white? I’ve seen quite a few here in Tennessee in yards that grow in a large circle and are very large mushrooms. 

A "fairy ring" is formed when a saprobic fungus spreads radially through a substrate. After the nutrients at one radial distance are consumed the next fruiting phase continues further from the point of origin. I imagine there's a number of different species that may spread like this, especially ones that grow in open areas where there are few obstacles to impede the spreading. 

Last year I saw a ring of Destroying Angels (Amanita sect. Phalloideae) in a field. This is a mycorrhizal species, so the ring probably did not form as a result of the type of expansion described above. I'm not sure about the correct explanation, but my guess is it's because of the way the roots of the associated tree are positioned underground. The amanitas pictured were near a large hickory tree. 

Amanita sect. Phalloideae HrsPndRd 9-12 1.JPG

Thanks for the comment Dave. I always just assumed there was only one type of fairy ring mushroom that grew in a circle formation, but after doing some research I found there are over 60 types of mushrooms that have been known to do this phenomenon. Learn something new every day! Thanks again!!

There's also lots of mushrooms that sometimes will grow in a half circular pattern and people will attribute it to being a "fairy ring", despite it just being a coincidence that they grew like that.  I often see A. muscaria pictures that are kind of a half ring, but they're mycorrhizal and don't really fit.  That being said, it doesn't hurt anyone, so I'm happy enough if people are excited by finding a bunch of A. muscaria and thinking they kind of, but not really, form a ring.  Whatever it takes to get people interested in mushrooms!  Haha.