ID Help

ltlt

Your floor must be damp to grow mushrooms; this is something that will need to be fixed.  But you likely have a harvest of oyster mushrooms.  Long ago, some of the first oyster mushrooms that I found were growing out of the plywood floor of my old VW minibus.

These look like Pleurotus, probably Pleurotus ostreatus aka. "Oyster Mushrooms." I'm guessing you were away from home on 12/22-23 when close to an inch of rain fell in Brooklyn. After that, the temperature dropped quickly. Was the thermostat set kinda low in your apartment? There's probably a leak that's allowing water to seep into the floor. Or maybe a downstairs neighbor left a window open. Also, maybe someone in your building has been cultivating Pleurotus, so there are spores available. Pleurotus is a genus of adaptable mushrooms. They can show up in some unusual settings. The ones seen here look to be large/robust. So, there may be a significant amount of water seeping into your floor. A repair may be in order.

11 hours ago, Dave W said:

These look like Pleurotus, probably Pleurotus ostreatus aka. "Oyster Mushrooms." I'm guessing you were away from home on 12/22-23 when close to an inch of rain fell in Brooklyn. After that, the temperature dropped quickly. Was the thermostat set kinda low in your apartment? There's probably a leak that's allowing water to seep into the floor. Or maybe a downstairs neighbor left a window open. Also, maybe someone in your building has been cultivating Pleurotus, so there are spores available. Pleurotus is a genus of adaptable mushrooms. They can show up in some unusual settings. The ones seen here look to be large/robust. So, there may be a significant amount of water seeping into your floor. A repair may be in order.

I was away during the big rain event. I had my AC units turned off, so it was probably pretty cool inside the apartment. I also noticed a very thin white "dust" on the floor/surfaces in the room where it was growing. Is it possible it released spores and this is the dust I'm seeing?