Jump to content

ID Help


ltlt
 Share

Recommended Posts

Your floor must be damp to grow mushrooms; this is something that will need to be fixed.  But you likely have a harvest of oyster mushrooms.  Long ago, some of the first oyster mushrooms that I found were growing out of the plywood floor of my old VW minibus.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

These look like Pleurotus, probably Pleurotus ostreatus aka. "Oyster Mushrooms." I'm guessing you were away from home on 12/22-23 when close to an inch of rain fell in Brooklyn. After that, the temperature dropped quickly. Was the thermostat set kinda low in your apartment? There's probably a leak that's allowing water to seep into the floor. Or maybe a downstairs neighbor left a window open. Also, maybe someone in your building has been cultivating Pleurotus, so there are spores available. Pleurotus is a genus of adaptable mushrooms. They can show up in some unusual settings. The ones seen here look to be large/robust. So, there may be a significant amount of water seeping into your floor. A repair may be in order.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Dave W said:

These look like Pleurotus, probably Pleurotus ostreatus aka. "Oyster Mushrooms." I'm guessing you were away from home on 12/22-23 when close to an inch of rain fell in Brooklyn. After that, the temperature dropped quickly. Was the thermostat set kinda low in your apartment? There's probably a leak that's allowing water to seep into the floor. Or maybe a downstairs neighbor left a window open. Also, maybe someone in your building has been cultivating Pleurotus, so there are spores available. Pleurotus is a genus of adaptable mushrooms. They can show up in some unusual settings. The ones seen here look to be large/robust. So, there may be a significant amount of water seeping into your floor. A repair may be in order.

I was away during the big rain event. I had my AC units turned off, so it was probably pretty cool inside the apartment. I also noticed a very thin white "dust" on the floor/surfaces in the room where it was growing. Is it possible it released spores and this is the dust I'm seeing? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.