yellow delicious smelling bolete? but with gills? and possibly Lepiota

mushnoob

Sorry for the picture ordering... Redwood forest northern Californi,a a mile from the ocean, 1st, 2nd, 4th picthose bolete looking mushrooms are about the tastiest smelling shrooms I've ever sniffed, and the slugs sure seem to love them, but gills?

Second smaller mushroom in 3rdand 5th pic found growing alone in a clayish road cut, wish I hadn't been touching and smelling it if it is a Lepiota sp... Would feel better if it isn't.

3rd/5th picture larger multicolored mushroom I have no clue, growing in solitary but near others near a swampy creek, just got it inthe shots with the questionable Lepiota.

Any thoughts? Curious if a delicious smelling mushroom turns out to be actually edible. Smells reminscant of chicken of the woods.

IMG_20221120_142905810_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221120_142941213_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221120_141743767_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221120_142901674_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221120_141815540_HDR.jpg

Several different mushrooms; a few photos show more than one species. Potential for a confusing discussion.

Best to feature one type of mushroom per discussion. But, I do believe the small scaly one represents a species of Lepiota. The first/second photos (mushrooms with stalks thickened below and partial veils), maybe either genus Armillaria or genus Gymnopilus; knowing spore print color would help. The mushrooms with decurrent gills... maybe a species of Lactarius section Deliciosi. 

It is ill-advised to judge the potential edibility of a mushroom based upon how it smells (unless this is one feature among several that confidently support an ID proposal). 

Thanks Dave, you don't think the 'bolete' could be Phylloporus rhodoxanthus? I can take a spore print, won't be eating due to buggyness. Delciosi sounds tasty but it smelled unappetizing. I had only planned to post about the gilled "boletes" but started getting evidence the scaly one was Lepiota and got a bit concerned about handling it so much so wanted to get some other input and now that I have it I'll probably never make the mistake of handling an unknown mushroom again! Thanks again.

The genus Phylloporus consists of species commonly called "Gilled Boletes." As suggested by the questioning, this is basically an oxymoron. So, what's up with that? Phylloporus mushrooms have fertile surface consisting of gills (except near where the gills reach the stalk they are often somewhat poroid). DNA supports the idea that Phylloporus belongs within the family Boletaceae. But, this placement predates the use of genetics to classify fungi. Except for the presence of gills, Phylloporus mushrooms morphologically and microscopically resemble other types of boletes. 

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/phylloporus_rhodoxanthus.html

According to my understanding, mushnoobs photos do not show any species of Phylloporus. The second photo down does somewhat resemble a Gilled Bolete, but it has a  partial veil. As far as I know, there are no North American species of Phylloporus that feature a partial veil.