False? chanterelle with true gills but smells like apricots

mushnoob

Friend called me to get some chanterelles from the mixed conifer forest near Trinidad California. He's been eating them for a few days so they're not toxic, but I was hesitant. They're nothing like the golden chanterelles I've picked up in Washington, these more like "mushroom" mushrooms, not the very distinct rubbery chanterelle shape/texture. I didn't eat any because they seem to have real gills and not those gill-like ridges. But the strange thing, these smell just like apricots. To me, golden chanterelles are fruity smelling but not apricot, while these smell just like them. I looked everywhere online for another type of mushroom that these could be but if you put apricot in the search it comes back as chanterelles. Are they just a different species of chants or something else? Sorry for the pics I can go back out with a real camera if needed.IMG_20221116_153035663_HDR.thumb.jpg.98d4908ba9615b81f519285888ba8229.jpg

IMG_20221116_152751645_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221110_153419829_HDR.jpg

The underside of the one seen in the first/second photos looks like it's composed of false gills, albeit very well-developed ones. The sliced stem appears to show white context. The one thing that bothers me about this are the small gray scales on the cap surface. But, about the CA species Cantharellus formosus, Mushroom Expert says "...with a grayish to brownish pigment layer that is nearly invisible in wet conditions but becomes more prominent with drying or with age in dry weather, appearing as tiny, darker scales." Also, Mushroom Expert mentions "...well developed false gills." C. formosus is said to grow under conifers. So, the evidence seems to point to this species. 

The third photo shows mushrooms that have been trimmed and --judging from the appearance-- pretty well water-soaked (presumably from being washed). 

That's a tricky one.  Based on these photos, I wouldn't think they are Cantharellus.  The gills look way too developed.    The fruity smell does seem to point towards chanterelles, however.

The younger ones seem to have an in-rolled cap that is typical of H. aurantiaca.  But it shouldn't have a fruity smell.

I wish we could see the top-view of more than one specimen.  I'm going to go with "I'm not sure".