Big white no gill mushroom

Arkansas

Well.. let's try this again.. Hoping this one is edible 🤣.

I found this thick white mushroom in the dirt amidst dead leaves and branches. 

Thick white stalk, almost the same size as the cap, if it's even considered a cap.

Smells like mushrooms from the store.

I tore off some of it to see inside, no color change after.

Any ideas what it is?

1114221627c.jpg

1114221627b.jpg

1114221627.jpg

Maybe either a mushroom that's been colonized by a parasitic Hypomyces? Or maybe an anomaly? This does not look like Hypomyces to me, so I think it may be abnormally formed mushrooms, possibly some common species. I'm adding three photos; one of some "aborted" Clitocybe robusta and two others showing normally formed mushrooms of the same species. These were all found growing in the same location at the same time, back in 2008. 

457087396_Clitocyberobustaaborted.jpg.65ac0c5e10439bdd672f0fdb38000f6d.jpg823879287_Clitocyberobusta2.jpg.eb60780b86b7881f3a5a6d6a8ebd9f73.jpg1801626188_Clitopilusprunus.jpg.d436e36e668540f72d912fe95dc3805d.jpg

This is tough because there's no gills.. and there were no other mushrooms around it.

I'm fact, about 300 feet away, a similar mushroom was found.

The stem and stalk were similar - in that it appeared they just blended together 

I didn't thoroughly look at it though.

So if a parasitic mushroom didn't colonize another mushroom - you think it may be some anomaly - a mutation of some kind?

Thank you

Not a mutation, but maybe just an abnormality. Actually, I like the suggestion from svs; maybe a puffball. Some Lycoperdon species produce puffballs with a sizeable sterile base. Seeing one of these vertically sectioned --so that the entire interior is seen-- may be helpful. 

• 2 weeks later...

It's a puffball, likely a species of genus Lycoperdon, genus Calvatia, or genus Bovista. The shape reminds me of Lycoperdon or Calvatia; the smooth outer skin points toward Bovista. 

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/bovista_longispora.html           http://www.mushroomexpert.com/lycoperdon_caudatum.html                 http://www.mushroomexpert.com/calvatia_cyathiformis.html

The flesh in the basal portion is probably less dense and I'm guessing this is what looks like pores to you. This is also a trait of Lycoperdon or Calvatia. If you allow one of these to mature in-situ --and if the weather cooperates-- eventually the inside will turn to spore dust; yellow, brown, olive-brown, or in the case of Calvatia cyathiformis grayish-purple. A hole or holes will develop along the apex and the mature spores are ejected when any pressure --eg. falling raindrops--  is applied.