Do Oyster Mushrooms Grow on Oak?

Nutball

• 3 months later...

Sorry for the super late response, but yes, they certainly do grow on Oak.  I find them more commonly on Maple and Beech, but there are a lot more Maple and Beech forests around here than Oak.   This is in reference to Pleurotus ostreatus.    

Pleurotus populinus grows on Poplar.  Pleurotus pulmonarius grows on all types of deciduous wood.

Calvert, Your forests are different than ours in the Rainy River District. Probably the wild mushroom strains are different in eastern Ontario. too.

I have only found wild Oyster mushroom on dead Trembling Aspen.

Field and Forest (Wisconsin based spawn and kit dealer) does not list oak as a viable option for their strains of Oysters. I have successfully grown their oysters on Red Maple but large diameter Aspen stumps produce the very best

• 4 weeks later...